I need make-ahead lunch items that I can freeze

I have three kids to get on the school bus at 6:30 each morning, all picky eaters with health issues. I'm thinking if I had "cool" stuff they could pull out of the freezer to take to school for lunch, they would be more apt to actually eat lunch, instead of starving themselves because the school lunches are gross. Any ideas? Time is VERY tight in the morning, but they won't tolerate a sandwich put together the night before.

mamahobbit

Asked by mamahobbit at 11:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• try making burritos you can make alot at one time and freeze the goodluck
    rachel_07

Answer by rachel_07 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• If they will eat yogurt, try frozen yogurt sticks, like Gogurt. You could try frozen grapes, too. Will they eat soup that you've put in a thermos. I know it's not cool, but maybe when the weather is cooler, they will eat it. Have you asked them what they would like?
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 6:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Maybe they can buy milk and have cereal as lunch? You can pack it in a tupperware container and they just add milk. Bananas travel well, too and go good with cereal.

Otherwise, you can buy pizza (or make it), slice and wrap indiviually and freeze it. I make pb&j the day ahead. I put a THIN coat of PB on each bread and jelly on one of those - the PB helps prevent the bread getting soaked with jelly. Also you can cut up cheese and kkeep in the fridge untillunch is made - serve with crackers and meat if they want it.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 1:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Have you tried in the frozen dept. the peanut butter and jelly sandwich all ready made is good. Also lunchables is good. Yoguat, fruit all ready to go like apples in the produce dept. Or on a week end get your snacks and put in baggies ready to go. I have 3 kids to get out the door in the morning as well and I have them prepare their meals the night before ready to go.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010