dose anyone have a son that dose this??

refuses to eat anything healthy ... for days first night we just sent him to bed, seconed night finaly gave him pb&j (on whole wheat sugar free jelly) he then got up in the middle of the night to look for the snacks and sweets ( that we don't have) i didn't know till morning when i saw the kitchen... he is 4 almost 5 if he sees green food will not eat it unless it is peas or green beans (some of the time) we are as a family trying to eat as healthy as possible but we are being met with this now what are we to do? he can unlock most child locks at least all the ones i have tryed and i am now thing of chaines and combo locks but that would be crazy right?... dose anyone have an advice he needs to sleep and i want him to eat dinner with out cooking something elts

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• children does that from time to time.lease don't . if he stop eating than u will have a problem.
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 11:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Take all the sweets out of the house! Put a lock on the pantry and tell him if he wants to eat, he can eat what you make. He might refuse at first but eventually he will start to eat what's given to him.
    CrnchyMamaCraig

Answer by CrnchyMamaCraig at 11:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• He will eventually be hungry enough to eat whatever you fix! Try not to make too much of a big deal out of it - he's counting on pushing your buttons. Tell him it is dinner time and he will eat what is on the table or not have anything until the next day. It is difficult if he is crafty enough to get the doors open and gets up in the middle of the night. Maybe you could try consequences (taking toys away, no movies, etc) if he gets up in the middle of the night. Food should not be used as bargaining tools. Either he eats dinner or he doesn't, but don't allow snacks later, don't bribe him with dessert if he eats, and don't punish him if he doesn't eat. He'll understand that he should have eaten when his tummy is growling later on. If you think he will get up at night again, be sure to keep all of the snacky-type stuff away somewhere and only keep healthy stuff where he can reach it.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:08 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• we don't offer or have anything in the house that we don't want our kids to eat.
    i make dinner and if they choose NOT to eat what is made, they are given ONE easy alternative (like plain noodles or something)... if they don't want either... too bad.
    kids will not starve themselves...
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He won't starve. If you ignore him when he chooses not eat, he will get hungry enough to eat what you and your husband eat.
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 2:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Maybe he's not hungry at the time that you are having dinner? Just because the clock says it's dinner time, his body may not. I've never forced my child to eat just because I made food for him. Forcing him to eat and making food a battle is a war where neither of you wins. It will cause him to have issues with food and could potentially lead to obesity or even anorexia later in life.

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:06 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Gosh, that has to be rough! I am sorry you are dealing with this. Have you checked out any of the articles in The Stir section of Cafemom? I know they have that whole section that is for picky eaters. Good luck, I hope you come to a solution quickly.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No. My kids eat pretty healthy. That really stinks though. There is a cook boook by Jessica Seinfeld that sneaks like cauliflower into mac n cheese.
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If there are only healthy items in the house then he will only be able to get into healthy things. Leave snacks like yogurt and veggies and fruits where they are easy to access and let him snack on those things if he is hungry.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• my nephew is almost three and a half and his parents fight him tooth and nail to eat a real meal. he would rather have fruit snacks and cookies. a while ago I saw these plates that are like faces, and you use food to decorate them like, for a hat or beard and stuff. I've thought about trying that with him, or my boys when theyre older. maybe it would work? or maybe try making him a fruit smoothie? dont tell him its fruit?? haha idk good luck
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2010