What should I do?? I practically taught her the F word!!

Long story short, I am a figure skater (and work at the rink) and today I skated on the public session.. I told one of the little girls (she's about 8) that Matt (the skating director) is a meany he thinks he's better than everyone else and he says the F word too much. (there's more to the story, but it's too long to get in to on here)... "what's the F word??".. 'uhhh. it's a very bad word. if you don't know it then lets keep it that way..' Then she bugged me about it for about 30 minutes (no kidding)... i caved and said it rhymed with Duck. She eventually figured it out. I asked her to promise not to repeat that word ever again because it's very, very bad, but.. she said it at least 10 more times. I ended up bribing her with money (she wouldn't take less than $15.. smart kid)... :/... but I told her I wouldn't give it to her until I trust that she'll never say it again..

MAMAtoTW0

Asked by MAMAtoTW0 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well all people are not perfect, im sure her parents wont get that upset unless their like,
    psycho paths that never say the f, word in their lives, and pass out when someone does,
    and of course i would so deny that you did anything,
    i would say she must have heard matt say it, he says it alot lmao, or ..the tv,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 9:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Bad mistake. Never ever give a child a bribe for something you did wrong. That looks worse then the error itself.
    I accidently taught my own kids the F bomb, but yes, I would have been pissed to see someone else had taught my kids it and then BRIBED them to keep it from mom.
    Great......she is keeping secrets from her parents at 8. Not a smooth move. I hope you find a way to fix that.
    Good luck to you.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• well, I didn't bribe her to keep it from her parents... I bribed her to never repeat it- to anyone. It's not a word that needs to be in anyone's vocabulary.
    I want to bring it up to her parents.. and tell them what I did... but how do I start a conversation like that??... lol... "Hi! Btw, I accidently taught your daughter the F word........... sorry!"
    MAMAtoTW0

Answer by MAMAtoTW0 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• She most likely already knew the word. It's a power trip for kids that age to try to control adults by putting them in places like that.

If she was smart enough to ask for $15 she probably laughed all the way home.

We're quite clear in our house that swear words are words that adults say when they are very angry or very upset. The problem isn't with the words, but that they are used as a form of abuse towards others who are passively listening and who have nothing to do with that persons anger.

They also know that as adults they will have the choice as to whether to use those words, but in the mean time, they are not allowed to say them.

If you talked to the mom you might be able to get your $15 bucks back, and ease her mind as to how her kid got that kind of money - although if it were my kid I would have grilled them as soon as I found out someone not me gave them money.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2008