Would you marry your fiance if you found out that his debt is your once you get married.

I love him so much. I thought that his debt is his and mine is mine.but once you get married it is what you share together.
What's your thats on this one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• Depends on how bad it is and how much you will be relying on it. Like if you plan to buy home, etc.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No way would I. Why cant he pay his debt by himself you didnt help him create it!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You take the good, the bad, and the ugly when you get married. I guess if I fell in love with somebody who was deeply in debt I would still marry them but it's not an ideal situation to enter in to.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Depends on how much debt it was. My ex is close to 50,000 in debt and he wanted to marry me. Him not being good with money was one reason why I refused on top of falling out of love with him.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• His debt wouldn't make me love him any less. If I loved him enough to marry him, I would marry him regardless of how much debt he had.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 12:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• wait till he's out of debt before you get married.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My question for you,,,,,has he learned his lesson? That is probably the most important question here. Has he learned his lesson and is he trying to consolidate his debt to pay it off? If no to either answer,,then no, cause he hasnt learned a thing about managing money and you dont want a man like this to be the father of your 32 kids....
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Well, it's not legally your debt if your name is not on anything he owes. I had a lot of debt when I married my husband thanks to an ex. I filed for bankruptcy and it did not affect my husband at all because nothing was in his name. I also separated from the military earlier than I planned so it was all on me. If you married him and ever got divorced, his debt would still be his debt. Anything he accrued prior to marrying you is his debt. Of course, it will suck because a lot of your household income will go towards his debt. If you are that worried, don't get anything joint with him, including bank accounts.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• IMO that is part of committing to somone for life the good the bad the ups and the downs.
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• OP it has to do with IRS taxes he will owe and after we get married then it will be my responsibility as well.
    paurad

Answer by paurad at 5:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010