Back to college against the odds

I am a highschool drop out who recieved a GED. I did not go to highschool. I am currently attending college full time. It has been 6 years since I received my GED. I work, have two young kids under the age of 2. My advisor told me I needed to be enrolled fulltime for my financial aide. I am taking englsih, child psychology, remedial algebra, and biology. English and child psych are easy. Math is a hard subject for me as I never got a foundation, but I have a patient, helpful teacher that I can learn from. Biolgy however, is a nightmare.
i have a biology teacher from hell. She expects us to understand it the way that she does...like we've been to school for it and got a degree for it..She does not explain anything..goes over things very fast. We've had 5 lecture classes of which were an hour or less long. We've had 3 labs of which are no relation to the lecture part , so it's like having two seperate biology classes. She

oogiesmommy

Asked by oogiesmommy at 12:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in

• is very fast, and also has a bad attitude like you either no it or you dont, but its your grade, i dont care...
    She expects us to cram 5 chapters and do a test tomorrow...the test is a week earlier than scheduled and we did not go over the last chapter..barely chapter 4 and briefly 1-3. How do I get through this class? I need some study tips and help! please...I'm fighting against the odds here. I have my kids during the day, school at night and work Frday, sat, and sud. I am a single mom
    oogiesmommy

Comment by oogiesmommy (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Im just not getting biology and I think I'm smart, but this is making me feel dumb, overwhelmed. It's impossible...I ried to study and read ..but i'm not retaing all of it...the test will be halp multiple choice and halp writing and I know that it's going to be very complex because she's a really hard taeacher.
    oogiesmommy

Comment by oogiesmommy (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Good for you! Stop thinking of yourself as a high school dropout. You are a college student! I am in nursing school, so I know how hard it is to do it with small children. You can do this! My brother struggled all through school, then did very well in college.

I agree that biology is a nightmare. I remember the first day of class when the teacher started reviewing basic chemistry (which I'd never had in high school). Everyone else seemed to know what he was talking about, but I didn't. I never worked so hard in any class in my life! I got an "A", though!

What are you going for? Hang in there and don't give up! It will all be worth it when you reach the finish line!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:06 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Are there practice questions at the end of the chapter? Does your teacher give you any hint about what will be on the test? Make note about anything she seems to emphasize in class. You could try writing up an outline of the chapters. Don't study when you are too tired, because you won't retain it. Can you get your kids to occupy themselves while you are in the next room studying? You may be able to sneak in some extra study time during the day. Don't get too discouraged if you have a bad test.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• She goes too fast, I cant seem to catch on or catch up and it's an overall problem...i know that there are several of us in the same boat..the only people doing well are those hat had it in highschool..and ya we are doing basic chemistry too and im so lost and confused..if i fail this first test...im just going to do better next time. it's just that we have 4 major test and this isone of them...my kids are 20 months and 5 months..there's not a lot that can occupy my 20 month old because she's always climbing or getting into things and we live in a very cramped space. I want to cry right now because I'm so tired and overwhelmed. I'm not going to give up..I'm just extremely tired. i am slo anemic and think that is affecting me too
    oogiesmommy

Comment by oogiesmommy (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• How about forming a study group with the other students who are having a tough time? Maybe you can pitch in together and get a tutor. Good luck!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:51 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You will need to spend a lot of time studying - the general rule is 2 hours of study for each hour of class time. Good luck to you, and keep at it.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I just wanted to say good luck!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:44 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Hang in there and best wishes
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010