Do you think all teachers are qualified to teach?

Educating our children seems to be really important to me. I think that not all are. I think that some teachers have lost the desire to teach because of the lack of the school system and pay they are experiencing. I also think that when you look closely many teachers seem to just be tired of the disrespect and are just storing up for retirement.

I think that many people who dont discipline their children have to take a lot of the responsiblity for teachers being so unmotivated.

This is a debate!! hopefully some of you know what that means?!

OctoberOrganics

Asked by OctoberOrganics at 9:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree that some teachers are under paid. There are some who should earn double the average salary, Unfortunately there are some who don't earn half of it. Just like any career, there are good and bad. If Teachers only went into the field for a healthy wage, they would never have chosen to teach. I would like to think that Teachers are motivated by their students and the future that they are molding. Sure the school systems need a major over-haul. Politics are everywhere. Hopefully the gifted Teachers will inspire the not so motivated teachers and those who are burnt out and set the bar high. It seems like every field of work is experiencing a lack of motivation, enthusiasm and support. Teachers have a great responsibility, I hope they know that they are of value and appreciated even if it is not financially.

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Can you name any profession where all the members are qualified? We have bad doctors, lawyers, plumbers, and anything else you can name.

I am a teacher and most of my colleges and I have a strong desire to help the children.  I devote my own personal time and money to further my education so I know as much as I can to help my students.

I think money is a key factor.  In FL teachers get paid well below the national average.  For this reason, we have a teacher shortage.  Schools have very little choice when hiring teachers.  If teachers were paid more, there would be more competition for our jobs.  Competition would raise the standards set for our classrooms.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• As far as discipline goes, we need support from school site administration and the school board. Teachers shouldn't be afraid of upsetting parents. I've never had a serious problem with parents and handle discipline problems well in my class. But many teachers let things slide because they are afraid they won't be supported if a parent complains.
    MAUREEN55

• Teacher here!!! Of course not all teachers are qualified....to me....it is a gift.....and while you can learn techniques and ideas in a classroom.....if ya got it, ya got it ;)

I am not a "scholarly" person. I struggled though school, mainly math. But I KNOW that I am a good teacher. But some of the people I went to school with breezed through classes with A's and didnt have the gift of teaching.

Its like any other job, some are there for money, benefits, ect. others are there for the actual job....ie: the kids ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• nooo .... this woman i lived nexxt door too,,,,,5 yrs,,,,she was a sub

... she was a nutcase I CANNOT COME CLOSE TO EXPLAINING. she was although educated..thru college etc..... but her mental status is still unknown...she drank alot...smoked MJ had 4 kids.....lived without water for months... got prego again said it was rape and she was mad...so she did it with the guy again???

Anonymous

• No, not all teachers are qualified to teach, and this is based on my knowledge as a STUDENT. A lot of my elementary (and even middle) school teachers were complete beotches and lazy @$$e$ and were just there to collect their paychecks. (And no, I wasn't a trouble maker or one who got bad grades in school - just the opposite actually, I was usually top of the class. But then maybe that is why I was able to see what jerks they were, even as a 6-year-old.)
    Anonymous

• NOPE. I had a couple teachers that were as lazy as can be in school. I needed help and was willing to take it but they would put no effort in communicating and helping their students. I moved schools and amazingly I made straight A's the first semester and A's and B's the second semester. The teachers there were so nice and helped us so much. At my old school they sat and gossiped with other teachers or played on their computer. Either way they did not care at all if we failed or not. My mom also helped me but her memory is not that fresh so she didn't know a lot of things in the Algebra, Calculus and Science area.

TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 2:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I think the majority of them are more interested in acquiring tenure than they are in actually teaching children and doing the job they were hired to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2008