Did you take Child Birth Education Classes?

Were? At a hospital? Independent? Other?
What type? (lamaze, bradley, other)
Were they helpful?
If you did not, why?

would you recommend them to a friend?
What class would you like to take next time?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 12:35 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Our bodies know how to birth instinctively, freely, but *most* of us aren't birthing in a setting that best facilitates that.

In a hospital setting, women are "patients," among the ill and exposed to a medical-model style of procedures, poking, probing, intervening.
    This is not normal, natural, instinctual. Not free.

It can be very helpful to do whatever it takes to become prepared for the many hurdles of such an environment. :-(

Most of us will feel pain have fear, be subjected to and consent to unnecessary risks, feel pressured, bullied...

I have spent years working on preparing for my own labors and for others because modern day birthing is quite removed from how God / Mother Nature intended...
    :- /
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• To respond to the others:
    the reason to take classes is that 1 in 3 women deliver surgically, most labors involve a controversial drug like Pitocin (often unnecessarily), most labors involve several unnecessary interventions...
    For those looking for the safer (and happier?) route, preparation can make a huge difference.

I love that we don't *need* to take classes! But certainly have answers for those who ask why?!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• nope. your body knows how to give birth and we all have instincts. i had a fantastic birth with no childbirth classes. i didn't even have pain but my instincts told me it was time and i was right cause i was 5 cm with no pain and gave birth 4 hours later
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I did take it.. I was a dependant wife of the military so they had their own class on the base. It was the Bradley there. I thought for being a first timer on this who adventure, it was really helpful cuz i really had no idea anything about it. I have told my friends all about it. I am undecided at this time of which one is better. I took it again for my 2nd one which was the Lamaz class in town being i was haing my child in the civilian hospital. Still very helpful even if i just went thur it 18 mos before hand.. Alzheimers set in real quick for me..lol
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 12:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We took Bradley Method classes with a group led by my doula. They were very helpful!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I took none...I didn't want to. I had a painful, yet, med free 7 hour birth. No induction, no problems except the stupid doc that gave me pitocin and broke my water too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:55 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No. I saw no point to take classes on something nature will walk you through... And now that I'm on child 3, I understand even less why people take those classes - they are just a waste of money!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No i didnt and i was 15. I didnt because my town only offers two classes a year and i missed one of them and the other was months after i was due. My labor was very easy and i handled it very well without them even the nurse couldnt believe how well i handled i heard it a million time while i was there.
    K3lly94

Answer by K3lly94 at 1:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I didn't take the classes, but I did take it upon myself to educate myself. Also, now a few years later, I'm childbirth educator that focuses on teen mothers and mother with past sexual trauma. I think that those two categories of women can certainly benefit from taking classes. Although, if mom is apprehensive about labor and birth, taking a class may be what she needs for gaining confidence.
    amberdoula

Answer by amberdoula at 6:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I took a childbirth class before my 1st child was born. It's one of the most important things you will do in your life - why would you not want to be as educated as possible?!? It was given by the hospital and incorporated a variety of methods. Yes, I definitely recommend a class!

(many, many of the questions that are asked on this forum were covered in my childbirth class so I knew the answers even before I delivered)

Answer by missanc at 9:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2010