PPD...

How long can it last? Can it be there forever? Can it turn into long term depression? How can you get rid of it, non-medically?

jmsst44

Asked by jmsst44 at 1:15 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Health

• what is ppd?
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 1:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Post Pardum Depression
    jmsst44

Comment by jmsst44 (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I had PPD and I didn't take any medication for it. It went away when my daughter was 8 months old.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I had ppd with my son and am still on meds for depression. That was three years ago. However, I did have a history of depression long before I even got pregnant. And it also means I will deal with it after any more children I may have. I don't know about "non-medical" cures, but I do know the herb St. John's Wort can be used to treat depression. However, if you are nursing or on other antidepressants, you can't take it.

Don't shun medical treatments for post partum depression. They are beneficial and it's definitely preferable to the mother you will likely be if you suck it up and wait for it to "go away". Depression of any kind is a chemical imbalance that the body is not always able to correct on its own.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 1:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Butterfly3206, PPD is different for each of us because of the chemistry in our bodies. What works for one is distructive for another. One thing is for sure. You need to talk to your Dr. about it. You can tell him your fears and together come up what is best for the health of you and your baby. I know there are women who tuff it up, but the trick about chemicals in our body, if they're not working, we can do some things to ourselves, our child, or both. Because we're not working with all the resources needed for our mind & emotions. I don't know if your heard about the woman who had PPD. Her family knew she wasn't acting well after each childs birth. In fact, she took it harder each time. Long story short.. she drowned her 5 children. They found she had PPD and her chemical imbalance was off the charts. I'm not saying this to scare you. You need to know the possiblities. Plz see your Dr 4 the best choice.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 4:11 AM on Sep. 9, 2010