Do you have a child that is afraid of dogs?

My 11 yrs old son has been afraid of dogs since he was 6 months old. He won't even get out of the car if he sees one. My sister has 5 dogs and lives out of town, I can't get him in the same room with one. What should I do?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:20 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• It just depends on which dogs. My sister has a dog that the kids just love, but they are also around her all the time (she's a beagle mix). My grandma has two chocolate labs that are just HUGE, but they are very gentle dogs. Two of my kids are afraid of them. My BIL and his wife have two dogs that are small, and all my kids are terrified of them. The one nipped at my son when he was just little, so he's especially afraid of them.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 8:43 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I used to be terrified and my babysitter actually saved my sanity one day! lol
    With his age you should take the adult to adult approach. Educate him on the breeds, take him to pet stores and pounds so he can meet them in a controlled enviroment. Internet search the basic commands, he needs to be comfortable with telling a dog down in a stern, non threating voice for when you visit any one with dogs.
    I'm not to easy with stranger dogs but when I'm taking DD on walks and they start barking, we say stuff like down, hey pretty girl, make kissy noises, say no bark... but in an up beat voice and confidently.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:25 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My child is definitely not afraid of dogs; we have a 70lb boxer/American Pit Bull Terrier mix who she's always loving on. We're trying to teach her the difference between OUR dog and strange dogs; she's 16 months and would probably go up to any dog she sees if we didn't watch her!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2010