Would you rather your D.D shave her head or grow dreads?

What do you allow in your home?

mamalana30

Asked by mamalana30 at 1:34 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• IMO it's just hair. I let my kids go through whatever crazy hair they want as long as they keep it clean. my 15 yo DS has long hair. My 6 yo DS has a Mohawk. I had a shaved head for a time, and every color under the sun. Its a fad that will pass. I would chose a shaved head over dreads for myself. Dreads have a lot of upkeep. I'm lazy.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 1:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't care as long as they keep it clean.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:40 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I shaved my head when I was 19. My parents almost kicked me out of the house. I moved out about 5 weeks later because of the hurtful things they said to me.

I would not care what they did to their appearance. I love my kids and I would love them the same if they were pierced, tattooed, shaved heads, dreadlocks... those thing would not change who my child is.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Personally I wouldn't want to deal with the smell the dreads typically create. That being said I don't think I would mind either so much as I might be concerned about the reason behind the desire... I understand wanting attention but really if you are confident enough to shave your head then surely you are getting plenty of attention already. Confidence is a trait that we innately admire in others. IDK, I would never ban either from my house however much I might want to, its certainly the fastest way to alienate myself from my child's life.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 2:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Hair is hair. Long as it is clean I don't care.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree 100% with babyboyzz.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 11:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• well my S.D recently shaved her head and got her 5th tatoo, Her dad and I believe, altering her looks is nothing compared to what she could be doing. She lives with her mom and stepdad. I guess step dad blew his lid over the whole thing. I would rather her have a shaved head then dreads, I think buzzed is just cleaner. She has done somethings in the last few years I see as a cry for help and attention. Her dad is in denial, her mom seems oblivioius. I just really worry about her ALOT. so thank you all for your opinions
    mamalana30

Comment by mamalana30 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Really neither, however,, it is their hair and they have to wear it.As a mother of nine, I know for a fact that the less fuss you make about it, the better it is with dealing with issues like this. If you make a big fuss then the child will keep the style longer.

Remember just one thing. Just because your son or daughter is in adult body does not mean they are adults.
    taximommyto9

Answer by taximommyto9 at 8:00 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Our rule is nothing permanent until they are an adult (without permission which is granted on a case by case basis ~ such as earrings at 12).
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 2:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Well, if they are over 18 anything that they choose to do to to their bodies, their hair, etc. is none of my business. Even if they lived in my house it wouldn't be any of my business.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 12, 2010