I want to be more organized where and how do i start?

I can not live in a home that is constantly disorganized! I think I've outgrown the messy side of me and realize I need to do something about my home so I can find things a bit easier! Let me know how and where to begin thanks ! : )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Closets are a very good place to start. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• check out flylady.com and organize.com .... organize.com is my favorite because it combines organization with shopping.. LOL!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 1:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I bought the rubber storage bins (at target), lots of sizes and colors. Start throwing away trash items or good will stuff that you see everyday, just make it part of your life to do that.
    As for rooms... Bathrooms first and maybe kitchen, you want them clean for sanitary reasons and if you have guest over they won't be turned off. Plus you can organize your cleaning supplies right off the bat.
    Also, do a load of laundry every day. You can still have laundry day but it won't be piled up so bad and you can fold while you watch tv.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Start by making a goal that each and every day you will tackle one room.

Use your garage as the catchall of items that you don't want.

If you don't want it, yardsale it, don't need it or can't yard sale it, donate it, and remember as you are cleaning if you don't have a space for it, get rid of it...................................or you can break down and buy storage bins and place it in the garage for access.
    Don't forget to label the bins.

Then once a week, even if you can''t clean the house from top to bottom as well as you would like to. At least organize it and when you do clean, it will go so much faster.

Then, make a habit that twice a year before school (August) and before spring (varies due to the weather) that you will organize and have a yard sale.
    Another tip is have the family help.
    It works for me and even my family is happy I do this twice a year whole house cleanin
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 2:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Also, stop "collecting" and buying stuff. Only the essentials. No more decorations and as seen on tv crap.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 2:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Go through each room, I like to do a room a day when I'm decluttering. If you havent used it in 6 months (thats my limit) get rid of it. Throw it away, GoodWill, or have a garge sale. Once you get rid of the "junk" it will be alot easier to organize and keep organized.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• 1st don't over whelm your self do 1 room at a time and get some storage totes and label them keep, donate, toss and if you haven't used something in 6 months time figure out if it's just something that you hold onto for holidays or if it's something you really need or don't need. If you have a hard time with a few things oput them in a tote away and if you haven't opened that tote in 6 months it's bye tote.
    Once you start getting rid of stuff it will become easier to keep everything else organized and you'll feel better also if they are what you think are keepsakes and you don't want to part with them you might consider taking a picture of it and keeping it that way
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Start small, taking baby steps. You can wear yourself out if you don't have a plan. All the tips and tricks are not going to help you get organized. They're just that tricks and tips. Make a plan. Start in the area that bothers you the most and then to the next. It can take more then a day to get a room done. Find a trusted friend to be your organizing buddy. Make time in your schedule each day for 2 hours increments. Take more if your still in the mood. Discard anything never used, torn, broke or not used in the past 6 months. Set limits with your stuff. Only bring in what is necessary such consumables only until your complete with the clean out. If your having difficulty You can a consult a professional organizer in your area. You can find one @ NAPO.net. They have resources you can check out. Happy Organizing!!
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 7:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2010