Did anything weird happen to you in the hospital?

That no one and no book warned you about?
Here is my list:
After 24 hours of labor and epidural, the nurse wanted me to get off the bed, on my feet and move to another, clean bed. I told her to bugger off.
The second night post-partum a nurse woke me up at 2 PM to weigh me. She came in with a huge, noisy scale and wanted me to wake up, get off the bed and step on the scale. I told her to bugger off.
No one asked me if I need to pee, so after 24 hours of being under epidural, they finally decided to put in a catheter and the amount of urine obtained was 4 times the normal of what a bladder should hold. The nurse said that my bladder could have ruptured. WTF? Why doesn't anyone think about that?

glenndoir

Asked by glenndoir at 1:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Health

• My nurses kept forcing me to pee after my epidural wore off, and they made me pee into this tupperware-like thing that was positioned in the toilet so that they could measure it...it was so embarrassing! They also wanted to check me for hemorrhoids but I wouldn't let them; I had just pushed out an 8 1/2 lb baby while my husband, my mother, my mother in law, and what seemed like dozens of nurses watching, that was bad enough, thank you!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:03 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't think any of those are"weird" in any way shape or form. You always deliver in a different room than the room that you spend your post-partum time in. I read all about that stuff way before I gave birth, but I am a Virgo and have OCD so I feel lost and anxiety ridden if I am not prepared for things. The delivery room is always much nicer and more comfy with bigger beds and such (as it should be), but after you give birth you don't really deserve that special treatment. The next mom in labor will need that room to make their labor experience more comfy. I had no problem with that! The hospital I was at was in the midst of revamping their delivery rooms, I got a nice new pretty one! I even got to stay there with my son for over 12 hours before I was moved to a pp room. We still had our own pp room though!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:08 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• After having "outpatient" laparascopic surgery for endometriosis, I woke up with an eye infection. WTH! I also became nauseous and spewed when they took me to the restroom. So, I was able to stay overnight.

Years ago, was hospitalized with the stomach flu. Medicated to stop vomitting and put on liquid diet for 2 days. Could not be released until I could keep down solid foods. So, the first meal they brought me was beef tri-tips on pasta with broccoli. WTH!
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No, she didn't want me to go to a diff room. The same room, but diff bed. I slept there from 2 to 6 AM. They they moved me to post-partum at 9 AM, It was pretty far so they don't move anyone right away. You have to go through hallways and elevators, I don't see anyone doing that within a few hours after birth. Everything would get bloody.
    glenndoir

Comment by glenndoir (original poster) at 2:11 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• glenndoir, you are to be congradulated! Not many would tell the nurse who gives the shots to Bug off! You are a brave soul. On the other hand, if you ever expect to get sleep in a hospital, you're better off having a home delivery with a mid-wife. You see, each nurse has the same information to fill out each shift. Temp, give meds, what did they eat, etc.. it tells them if your temp spikes you may have an infection, etc.. As far as them not asking you to pee? That is rather odd because one of the things they have to sign off on is how many liters your output is. You want to hear a funny one? I told my Dr no staples. My skin stretches & shrink & they pull apart the skin. After the surgery I was in the restroom. I felt something digging in my skin. I felt it. It was a big white coat button with wiring wrapped around it. The other side had one too! He used the wire to sew the skin together and close with the buttons. 2 wierd
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 3:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2010