Do you think resturants should offer more to kids?

I'm still kind of in shock how resturants get away with putting toys in kids' meals that lure them to unhealthy eating and one in every 2-3 kids now is overweight and how are these companies getting away with it? A McDonalds happy meal should come with a surgeon general's warning just like cigarettes. But I know lots of parents would still buy them and kids a lot of times don't have a lot of choice. Salad is RARELY an option on a kids' menu anywhere. Same with vegetables of any kind. Most of the time when I take my 2 and 5 yr old out they eat off my a dh's plate because the child's menu is so terrible. Its really a shame too, the way they posion kid's minds and then posion their healthy bodies with junk.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 1:57 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Health

• Well, when it comes to McD's and places like that... it's fast food and not as pricey as a sit down resturant so you get what you pay for.
    Also, parents need to say no to their kids, stop introducing them to fast food at such young ages. Places like McD's aren't responsible for parenting.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• the toy IS NOT a big deal, as the parent you can always say no to a happy meal. or if you are that concerned then why go to Micky D's in the first place? but if you are conscious about what your kids eat then at least at Micky D's they would want the apples over the fries, my dd does. but at a regular resturaunt, i do think that they need to expand the kids menus. why not offer what is on the adult menu for the most part, but in kid sized portions.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Dennys has kids eat free days, you should look there bc they have a good selection of kids stuff. Food and drink.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:06 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Little children generally do not have their own money to buy the food they want, therefore, I think it's up to the parents' to make sure their own children are eating what they want them too. McDonalds has been serving the same food and toys since I was a kid, some 46 years ago!! I wasn't overweight because my parents made us eat healthy food and occasionally we were allowed to get a Happy Meal!! We also played outside to get the exercise that we needed. We did not sit at home, watch TV and play video games.

Seriously, it's not the restaurant. It's the parents.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:07 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Why blame the restaurants for the kids' choices? Isn't it the parents who are purchasing these items? I'll admit, I struggle with a picky eater and there are times when all he wants is chicken nuggets. I try to keep them in the house, but I don't always have them. I can handle him eating an "unhealthy" meal occasionally because he eats well the rest of the time. He's not lured in by the toys. And we also make regular drives from Iowa to Ohio and back and only have time to stop for those fast food restaurants. It's part of the treat of the road trip for him.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 2:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I do think the companies are responsible because they are using the toy to get the kid to want the food. CA has mad a law now that they cannot market toys for kids in happy meals. Its a big problem with kids-obesity. It is not a problem in my house-my kids have never been given a happy meal. If they want the toy(which is rare) then I buy just the toy. I have only done this a couple of times when they had Madame Alexander dolls and such. But even companies theat do not offer a toy have a lot of unhealthy food on kids' menus.
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 2:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Im still in shock that more and more parents are blaming fast food companies for their kids unhealthy eating habits when its the PARENTS job to monitor and teach healthy habits.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 2:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Guess no one really read what I typed. I DO NOT BUY JUNK FOR MY KIDS. i KNOW it is my job to keep them healthy. With tha being said, it still doesn't make it right what companies are doing. School lunches are the exact same.
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 2:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Personally we don't eat fast food very often. Maybe 1-2 times a year if we are on our way somewhere in a hurry. My kids don't even like fast food because since we don't eat it often, it upsets their stomachs. It is the parents that feed the children, plan and pay for meals for the children.

A child eating a happy meal doesn't bother me as much as the small children that I have seen carrying a big gulp sized soda. At least it is trying to be a "meal" and McD is offering healthier choices now. Key word "choices". Anyhow, I personally don't like the toy because it creates waste and trash. It is a cheap toy that will be played with for 5 min - 1 day and thrown away. If we do go to McDs we don't order the meal, but off the dollar menu for everyone. Keeps the budget low and saves on the waste of the meal box and toy.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:21 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• OMG! School lunches are WORSE. At least out of school I have the say for what my child eats. At school, I cannot give my children $ for lunch to even get a psuedo healthy lunch like we used to get. You know, same rectangle plate meal with a meat, a starch, veggie and milk. Didn't taste great, but it was home-like.

Now... starting in elementary school the kids have Pizza Hut, Little Ceasars, Rubios, Burgers, Taco Bell and other fast food AT SCHOOL. My son said that some of his friends eat pizza or a burger every single day for lunch. It's terrible. Oh... and due to budget cuts they have reduced PE requirements and shortened recess for younger kids. (sad, sad, sad)
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2010