My daughters not talking

my daughter is 20 months old and barely says any words. She says some and others come out sounding the same as other ones. Is this normal and what can I do?

EthsMadsmommy

Asked by EthsMadsmommy at 2:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you have any concerns, you can call early intervention in your area (should be able to google it) and they will do a free evaluation. If they find a delay they can go ahead and address it (they will offer free or very low cost speech therapy, which they can start very early, like at a year), if there is no delay then at least you will have peace of mind.

Answer by missanc at 9:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My son was 24 months when he started saying a few intelligible words, my daughter is 15 months now and she knows more words than my son did at 30 months. Every kid is different. He will talk.
    Like that joke about the kid who didn't talk until 5 and when he finally started talking all of the sudden, his parents asked him why didn't he say anything until now. The child replied "I didn't have anything important to say".
    On a different note, there is a genius born in my country (Russia) who really did not talk until the age of 5.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 2:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My friend's son didn't start talking until around 2 1/2 and now he talks all the time. You can ask the Dr, but I wouldn't worry at this point.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The Dr. told us it was totally fine. My GD is 2 1/2 and really only started talking when she was 2. You still can't understand her though. They said she could attend speech at age 3.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:20 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• may be somewhat normal if still worried,ask your ped
    A11

Answer by A11 at 2:24 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Every child develops at a different pace.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 2:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• my son is also 2 1/2 and i'm the only person who understands him. but he understands everything doc says not to worry as long as he can hear and understand me.
    Angelica2179

Answer by Angelica2179 at 2:43 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I really wouldnt stress it. My neice said hi and by til 2 1/2 and then busted out with "can I have some juice" ?
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Every child is different. If you are concrened talk to your doctor. Check her hearing and ears to make sure nothing is going on there, that is the number one cause of speech delay. As long as she is developing in every other area, it is not much cause for concern. You can help by requiring her to talk more, try not to anticipate her needs, make her ask. Use a lot of language aroud her, describe the settings, what your are doing, etc...
    StructuredChaos

Answer by StructuredChaos at 7:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Maybe she has nothing to say? Is she babbling?
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010