I need to be a better christain..

I started a quest back in Feb to read the bible. Since I have so many questions, I figured reading the word would be the best way to get accurate answers. And through reading, Im finding that "faith without works is dead", and that I have a lot of self improvement to do. Any advice?

No bashing please, Im being serious..

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 2:59 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Becoming a good Christian is a life-long journey in which we can always improve. 

A good start would be to obey the ten commandments. To get a more in-depth look at the ten commandments you can read an Examination of Conscience.  Once you are deliberately trying to avoid sin you might want to become involved with a ministry at church, or even something as simple as pledging to bring cookies for the kids during their Wednesday evening youth group meeting.  Some day you might go further and volunteer at a homeless shelter/soup kitchen, or donate non-perishables to a food bank and toiletries to a safe house for abused women and children.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Please don't let the naysayers discourage you. First, are you attending a Bible believing church faithfully? The Bible tells the Christian how we are not to "forsake the assembling of ourselves together". Going to church is very important for our spiritual growth. The Bible says that "faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God". Our faith is going to weaken if we are not hearing and learning God's Word. That is the first thing I encourage you to do if you are not already doing it. Fellowship with other Bible believers is important as well. If you surround yourself with people who question God, question the Bible, etc you are going to start doubting God and allowing satan to confuse you. I recommend that you seek out Bible believing friends to fellowship with so they can pray, encourage, and support you. The Bible is true when it says faith without works is dead.....(CONT)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 7:58 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• if someone claims to be a Christian, but they never do anything for the Lord, than according to the Bible, they probably are not saved. If we are born again children of God, than we can't help but to WANT to serve the Lord. I hope that you are secure in your salvation according to the Bible. Also, keep reading God's Word. If you are seeking the Lord and asking God to teach you, guide you and help you understand, the Bible says that He will help you. The Bible says He liberally gives wisdom to those who ask. I will be happy to talk with you any time, encourage you and pray for you. Just contact me if you ever need another sister in Christ to chat with. I love to talk about God and the Bible! :-) God Bless!
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 8:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• There are no answers!-
    can be a good, moral person without religion.-
    thank goodness someone(s) who had the answer to her question answered..she didn't ask how to be a good, moral person..she specifically asked how to be a better xtian. not muslim, or buddhist, or witch. i truly hope the OP continues her quest, in whatever area she wants to improve herself, and can see past those who would bring her down.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:29 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It's quite simple......

Do it.

Why do you think you're not being a 'good' christian, a good person anyway? If there are specific reasons, then change them. If you want to volunteer more, give back to the community... then do it.
    There are as many definitions of 'good' as there are people....

Good luck.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• you can be a good, moral person without religion.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:13 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Let me recommend a study for you .... Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby. "Knowing God does not come through a program, a study, or a method. Knowing God comes through a relationship with a Person. This is an intimate love relationship with God. Through this relationship, God reveals Himself, His purposes, and His ways; and He invites you to join Him where He is already at work."

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Some of the best practical suggestions come from Paul's letters in the New Testament.

IMO, the "doing" starts in the heart. Jesus himself said that it is out of the overflow of the heart that the mouth speaks.

Are you part of any of the Christian groups here at CM?
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 6:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Thank you for so many helpful suggestions. I currently do not have a church that I attend, and I think that is a great step in the right direction. My husband and I are trying to surround ourselves more with christ. We want to raise our family the right way, with god involved in our parenting. Thank you again for seriously helping, not bashing :)
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 5:07 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• – collapse
    And you will NEVER receive those answers that you seek, EVER!!!!! There are no answers! I came to the realization a few years ago that WHY is truly the ultimate question. Why is the one that can never be answered truthfully! Some idiots will attempt to provide an answer for you, but truthfully it is impossible within this medium. Any answers you receive within this area are simply conjecture and someone's opinion and NEVER fact!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:14 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 (hidden) + expand