Any suggestions for ear infections?

My sinus infection drained into my ears. Now both ears sound swishy and muffled. My Dr. gave me antibiodics for the infection and eardrops for pain. But they're still have liquid in them. Any ideas what I can do?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 3:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Health

• I had the most awful ear infections when I was pregnant. I actually had blisters on both eardrums and on of them burst. My uncle actually recommended this to me. What you need- 1/2 a cup of salt, an old nylon/pantyhose, a clean sock. You put the salt in a pan on the stove (dry, no liquid added) and heat it up. Careful because it heats very quickly! Then poor the hot salt into the foot portion of a nylon- I use one of those cheap nylon trouser socks. Then you tie it off an put the nylon in the sock. Hold the heat pouch by your ear for about 10 min. Make sure its not too hot to touch!! I laid my head right on it. The warm salt will want to replenish its moisture and so it will help to draw the moisture out of your ear. This really eased my pain and helped with the swishy feeling too. Hope it works for you!
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 3:11 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• proxcide helps pull what ever is in there out the same with wounds that get infected
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 3:24 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Go back to the Doctor. One round of antibiotics does not clear up an infection if it is in both ears. Drops are only pain killers and add to an infection and awful feeling. Heating pads work for temporary relief and whatever you do, do not get water, shampoo or any other chemical in your ear. Hope you feel better.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 3:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Already tried the Proxide. It bubbled and seemed fine, but then it filled back up again. I'll try the nylon & sock until I can get in to see the Doc. The problem with doing another rounds of antibiotics is I have a reaction to antibiotics. Messes with my intestants. Get diarria and land up in the hospital. I was trying to prevent that. I was hoping someone had something passed down in the family. Appreciate all the help!
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 6:21 AM on Sep. 9, 2010