I have an 8 yo girl who hates clothes how can I get her to wear them without crying??

She feels all sizes are too tight and she has tantrums every morning.

JoBeany

Asked by JoBeany at 9:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 9 yr old granson, who lives with me, has Dermographism, it is a skin disorder that I first noticed when he came to live with me in Dec 2006. He would start itching and break out in whelps all over his body and start crying and taking his clothes off. Took him to the dermotologist and got him checked. He was on Zyrtek daily for this condition and I researched it online. It was awful, so if she is having a problem with the clothes itching her or sticking her you might want to get her checked also.
    strtngovrmom

Answer by strtngovrmom at 9:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I have a 10 year old that does not like tight clothes on and she also throws tantrums if they are tight. She has a constipation probably, staying impacted. That will also cause them to be irritable and throw tantrums because they are uncomfortable and their belly stays sore and hard rather than soft. She did see a doctor and they put her on meds when she was younger. Now she takes benefiber and that usually keeps her moving and the tantrums are not as bad or as often. That's just an idea to check out. Praying for you to get answers, so you can know where you go from here.
    jlaney

Answer by jlaney at 10:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I also have children like that. I am also this way myself. You learn to cope as you get older. But for the young ones, sweats and loose dresses. No tags.

But first. You must realize something. She is not throwing tantrums because she wants to be bad. She is trying to protect herself.
    I wear clothes everyday. But, there are times where my skin hurts. Everything that touches it just hurts. My kids ask me before they hug me, because sometimes I cannot take being touched.
    Check out Sensory Disorders. I have two kids with Sensory Integration dysfunction.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My daughter use to be like that w/ denim pants. So I bought her pretty slacks and, despite my pet peeve, sweats. She has Aspergers, though, which sometimes comes w/ sensory issues. I have it too. I don't like shoes. I don't wear them unless absolutely necessary. If I wear them too long and can't take them off sometimes I cry. I don't know if Autism is the only thing that causes sensory issues. You could check webmd (That's not a typo) or ask your Dr.
    LADYLadylady

Answer by LADYLadylady at 4:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• my little sis used to wear lots of sweats and dresses we called sack dresses(that's what they fit like). 100% cotton is good as well as tagless
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2008