when does babysitting become daycare?

What's the law on this? Anyone know?

luschram

Asked by luschram at 9:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• depends on the state you live in. where I am at, you need a license from the state if you have more than 2 kids that are not yours
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• It also depends on the location; for instance, your house or theirs? And is there more than one family being watched? If it's three kids, but all from the same family, at THEIR house, it's typically babysitting, even if it's long term, all day, every day. But Flutterfae is right, you should always check with your local licensing board and see what they say.
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I think Michigan is really strict and basically says you can't take care of kids that aren't your own unless their family...I have no idea who actually follows this though! My best friends mother basically raised me and there is nobody in the world I would trust more than her with my children whether she has a license or not...and what about all the high school girls wanting to sit? I think its too strict.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2008