What do you think of suicide?

A friend of mine killed himself this weekend; shot himself. He left behind a wife, coworkers, a ministry, and dear friends. I'm just wondering if you've dealt with this subject in any manner, and what your thoughts are.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• Its a really tough thing to deal with. The biggest victims of suicide are always those left behind. I've been on both sides of the situation and its never easy. Just know there was nothing you could have done. I'm so sorry for your loss
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Very sad....I would just keep wishing I could've done something to help prevent it from happening.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My brother was 29 when he hung himself. People that are that depressed and feel there is no way out for them are clinically sick. They need help. Unfortunately many never reach out. People have said to me in the years "wasn't it selfish, he didn't leave a note" Shortly after his funeral I became very angry with him for that very reason. I have come to realize with time and education that he was too sick to even think of being selfish. I honestly believe now that he may have thought by leaving he was relieving a burden from his family.
    My Mother will never, ever be over it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My husband tried to commit suicide when he was 16, this was before we met. He jumped off an over pass and the only thing he succeeded in doing was breaking his back. He doesn't like to talk about it but the times we did, he will tell you that it was the stupidest thing and you are not in a right place when you attempt it. He said he felt at a total loss with his life and that the best thing for everyone was if he left. Although people think that it is selfish, and in a way it is, sometimes people may feel that it's the best for everyone. They feel as if they don't want to burden anyone with their problems or that they can't be helped. I think it's a terrible tragidy, but we shouldn't be quick to judge. We don't know what was in their mind.
    Anonymous

• I have tried before i got pregnant with my son. He saved me if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be here. I slit my wrist.

I am very sorry about your friend.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I had a very close friend of the family jump off of a bridge at the beginning of this year. While going through his things we found notes everywhere in his apartment. He had gotten addicted to drugs after years of being clean, thanks to a woman. He was losing his apartment the day he did it, the eviction notice had been served. He was so far in debt he was being sued by everyone. He had totalled his truck. He felt that it would be too much of a burden on his sisters and mother for them to find out that he was an addict again. I honestly think he felt that was his only way out that would be easier for everyone. Sadly, if he would have just reached out to anyone we would have all been there for him. They've never found his body 8 months later, that fact alone kills his mother daily.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 10:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I had a friend in high school who's mother died suddenly from a blood clot to the heart. Her sons were 11 and 15. They were home alone with her and tried to do CPR. It was very hard on them. Within months their father had another woman and her small daughters move in and they married. Then about a year later, their father shot himself in the head. Talk about a selfish SOB!! He left his teenage son who had just lost their mother without a parent at all. It was awful!!!
    MOMMY2BABYGIRLS

Answer by MOMMY2BABYGIRLS at 11:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• i think its a chicken shit way out.! its selfish. All it does is cause the people you leave behind great sadness....
    LiFeOVeRForTY

Answer by LiFeOVeRForTY at 11:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I do not think it is the "chicken shit way out". That's a horrible thing to say. People who are so depressed they are considering suicide have a real medical condition. They aren't selfish, they are sick. They need help. Unfortunately those poor people don't always get the help they need in time.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 12:36 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I had a family member who commited suicide yrs ago,his mother found him,nobody knew why he did it,I think it is a bad way to go out of this world.Imsorry for your friend,its sad that people feel thats the only way to solve problems sometimes.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 2:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2008