How often should you change a cat's litter box?

Specifically, how often should you change out the entire thing and fill it with new litter (not just scooping out the excrement).

Mia1983

Asked by Mia1983 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Pets

• I have five cats. Four use the same litter box; the fifth one is our oldest cat, and slightly infirmed so she has her own box behind the garbage, and the other cats respect that and leave it alone.
    I never scoop. I line each litter bin with a trash bag, pour in the litter, and change it out completely every two days for the big box, and every three days for the small one.
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I do it once a week. of course scooping daily :)
    Anonymous

• I scoop three times a day. and change the whole thing twice a week.. but then again. I have three cats... Three big fat cats lol :-)
    rivmom

Answer by rivmom at 10:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I only have one cat, and I scoop it twice a day and change it every other week.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I think it really depends on the type of litter and the location of the box. I know not everyone can afford to change their litter every 2-3 days, most people don't anyway. If it's not right in the mix of things . . well I would only change it every 2 weeks, but if its going to be in an area of the house where you spend a lot of time or even nearby . . it would be a good idea to change it every week. Good Luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Thanks!
    Mia1983

Answer by Mia1983 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2008