Honestly, was labor pain bearable for you??

did you go with or without epidural? im 32 weeks and I want to say I only want the epidural ONLY if Im in so much pain i cant bear it any longer. which if labor is as bad as they say it is, i prob will end up with it. but i like the thought of a natural labor though.. how was labor for you?

Armywifelovely

Asked by Armywifelovely at 4:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had the epidural. The problem is that you have to get the epidural before you start feeling labor pains because you have to hold very still while they are giving you the shot.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I ended up with an emergency c-section, so I know I didn't get to the really tough stuff, but I will tell you these three things:

1) "They" say it's like bad menstrual cramps. They lie. I have bad menstrual cramps every month and there is no comparison.
    2) There are alternatives to epidurals - by this, I mean IV drugs. There are two problems with these: they also drug the baby and they don't do squat for mom. About the only thing they are good for is making you forget/not care that you're in pain.
    3) As hard as it was, I'd do it again and go all the way to delivery with no epidural. It's gonna hurt; they don't call them labor PAINS for nothing. But women have been giving birth for centuries longer than we've had epidurals, and I'm pretty sure they didn't die from pain. And you forget all about the pain as soon as you hold that baby for the first time.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 4:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• my vote = epidural! my son being 9.03 my have been a factor but i cant imagine going thru it w/o it.
    babylotus

Answer by babylotus at 4:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I had immense pains,but my doc asked for an emergency c-section.so my son was born out of c-sec.but yes they are bearable to some extent
    A11

Answer by A11 at 4:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Labor was fine my mom was the problem. I couldnt focus and she was pissing me off so at the last possible chance I had an epidural. It was great!! I tore and I didnt feel it. I was mad because the nurse put the mirror up I told her I would prefer not to see it so I closed my eyes. After the last push and DS was out I opened and saw the tear. The epi relaxed me and I was able to enjoy my son while the Dr finished his stuff down there.
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 4:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Labor was fine. I didn't have an epidural with any of my children. I'd prefer not to get an epi just because of the stories of my friends, most ended up with c-sections or an inability to push because they were too numb to know when to push. I'm happy with my choice to go without the epi. Yes, there was pain but it's not a pain you remember. Once I was holding my babies, I didn't even think about the labor pains.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 5:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I was induced and had epidural with my first and third baby. Inducing labor does make labor pain worse. But my second baby was born 100% completely natural, no IV, no doctor, the nurses delivered him, didn't even finish signig the papers, and it really wasn't that bad and I tore very minimally, no stitches. But I have fast deliveries, he was second, not first, and I seam to have a high tolerance for pain.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I've had four deliveries and three were vaginal birth. I was induced with all those and every time once my doc broke my water the pain became to much for me so I got the epi. But I do have a low pain tolerance. Also after a while for me the epi wears off and they have to give me extra medicine in my IV. Well, with my son I had the worse epi ever and they kept having to give me more, my doc finally said no because my baby wasn't coming down and when I pushed nothing was happening. So for the last two hours I labored and delivered my son with out the help of the epi. It hurt bad, but I got through it. But my labor was 13 hours with him so I'm glad the epi numbed me for some of it. And I still went on to have twins after that, so even feeling all that pain I still wanted another baby. :)
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 5:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Labor hurts, but not as much as most people say. The only thing that really bothered me is that when the contractions get really hard (towards the end of labor) it is hard to breathe through them. And I had back labor. It hurt like hell but I lived through it. I did get the epi at the very end, which was hard because you do have to hold still and I was having big contractions... let me tell you, the epi was my biggest mistake. But mine was botched and I ended up with bacterial menegitis. I went into seizures two days after having my baby and was comatose for a month. For me, the epi at the end was a mistake but that's because it was messed up.
    I didn't find it hard to push because the epi was wrong so I could still half way feel. I was confused about HOW to push though. The doctor told me to push like I was trying to poop. I was like "Well God, what if I do??" lol... doctor wasn't concerned.
    Anyway this is long... bye:D
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 5:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• By the time you are in that much pain that you really want it. They will not give it to you. Just remember, after the baby comes, the pain goes away. That is how I got threw it. Temperary pain is easier to deal with.

Answer by louise2 at 5:48 AM on Sep. 9, 2010