Do you get out of bed everytime your toddler wakes up at night?

My son is 20 months old. We've been working on getting him back on a schedule after he began fighting sleep a few months ago. So far, getting him to fall asleep for naptime and bedtime has been going good. However, every couple of nights or so, he wakes up multiple times. He doesn't get out of bed. He just lays there and kind of whines for a couple of minutes, with his eyes closed. Last night, he did this at least 4 times, and everytime, I got out of bed and went into his room. I'm just wondering if this is necessary or if I should just let him whine himself back to sleep. What do you think? Do you get out of bed everytime your toddler makes a noise in the middle of the night?

AMZF812

Asked by AMZF812 at 6:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest used to do the same thing and I would jump out of bed and go see what was wrong. After awhile I got sick of doing that and I started laying in bed for about 5 minutes to see if it would stop........normally it did :) Try waiting for a little while before you go back.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Another way to prevent him from getting up at night is try to eliminate naps during the day. I have a 3 year old, and I know sometimes a nap is necessary, but come the afternoon and late night he's pooped! He gets a bath and goes straight to bed, doesn't even wake up at night. (Most of the time) Try that once or twice and see if that helps.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 7:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My daughter did the same thing and I used to get up every time, but learned it wasn't helping her to get back to sleep, so I waited and most of the time she fell back to sleep on her own.
    jessmom27

Answer by jessmom27 at 8:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• When I hear him, I give it 5 minutes to see if he'll settle back down. Most of the time I don't go into his room, he falls right back asleep.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It is important to let him figure it out himself. He needs to learn to comfort himself and put himself back to sleep. It is really counterproductive to keep going into his room everytime he fusses. Just keep an ear on him and I bet you he'll eventually go back to sleep.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My 2-year-old son has been having nightmares a lot. We've only had to get up twice to rock him for a second. The other times he just cries for a second and then falls back asleep.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No, I almost never get up... most of the time he is still sleeping and just fussing in his sleep. If he does a different kind of cry then I will go see what is going on after a few minutes... most of the time he just goes back to sleep on his own.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010