How to stop LYING?

Hi...my 12 year old daughter has been lying to me about the dumbest stuff for about 2 months now. I have talked, punished, explained about a persons character etc and she agrees to never lie to my face again...NOPE it just keeps happening and I am at a loss!
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bipolarbear72

Asked by Bipolarbear72 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Lie to her, then watch her reaction. ha I found out that. Told my gson that I would buy him a toy, then I didn't and I looked at him and said how does it feel to be lied too? He is 9 and did not like it at all. Well we are still working on that cuz I think lying is the hardest to overcome. Good luck
    strtngovrmom

Answer by strtngovrmom at 12:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have always told my children that I would rather have them tell me the truth, even if they think they will get in trouble, because if they lie they will get in more trouble.
    I also think you need to look at what she is lying about. Is she trying to impress you or make you think that everything is fine?

My best advice would be to talk to her. Tell her that she is making it very difficult for you to trust her and as she gets older she is going to want to do different things. If you do not trust her then she might not be able to do those things. I would explain that no matter how much it might hurt the truth is always better. lastly, I would see if she can tell you why she is lying.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• IDK, but hugs munchkin. I'm so sorry. Lying, especially over "dumb" things, is a BIG issue. Is it possible that something happened that made her feel like lying was the only way out. How are others that are closest to her i.e. cousins or friends? Try talking to her woman to woman, no spiting fire, though! Be open and honest with her, tell her how it makes you feel, and the position it puts the both of you in.
    HTH Hugs
    mom2trewife2vic

Answer by mom2trewife2vic at 5:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008