Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My 18YO lives at home and watches porn and I want him to stop it in my house

but he's an adult and can do as he wants. What can I really do other than kick him out? I don't think he deserves the boot, I just want him to stop looking at porn, even if he does do it in private and is discreet.

Its his own computer btw, I just thinks its a nasty habit.


Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • There is NOTHING that you can do other than kick him out. You can let him know how you feel about porn, you can tell him it is disrespectful to watch it in your house after you've asked him not to, but in most states it is legal for him to view porn at 18 and nothing can stop that short of kicking his butt to the curb.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:35 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • You can get a filter on your computer. Even though he uses his own computer, you can set the filter up on the box (ha ha - I have no idea what it is called, maybe modem?) Pure Life Ministries recommends 3 different filters for blocking porn. We have, there Cloud Safe or Be Safe filter to keep our kids from seeing anything that might come up accidentally.

    Answer by micheledo at 7:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • I dont care whom disagrees with me...I have heard that in research porn is HIGHLY addicting and can later in life cause problems..marital and more.....also in studies the top serial killers were interviewed and what they all had in common was a very high addiction for porn. It's not a good degrades women and can cause tons of problems. I would talk to him about it calmly and do t in a manner that does not make him feel like he should be defensive about it. I also would already have a book for him about the dangers of porn addictions....there are many great books at your local christian book store. Maybe if he can get a hold on this now he might be saved from this addiction. My heart goes out to you. What a hard situation to grasp.

    Answer by Mommyof3yippey at 8:29 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • You can tell him that you know what he is doing and that you don't approve. Maybe it will embarrass him enough to stop! LOL Other than that, I don't see that there is anything you can do. How do you know he is looking at porn anyway? Do you check hi history???

    Answer by StructuredChaos at 7:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • My husband and I had to kick my BIL out of our house for this reason (well, he did it in a way that was very disrespectful to us). There's nothing you really can do other than kicking him out if he doesn't listen to your request (which he most likely won't if he's really addicted unless he's got good accountability behind him to help him).

    Answer by SparklingHope at 8:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • Technically it is his room, his computer, and he is an adult. However, does he pay you rent to live there? If he does I would say you can not do anything about it, that would be like a landlord saying you can't watch what you want in "his" house. If he dosen't pay you rent for staying there then he should still technically follow by the rules you have always set for him, if he dosen't like it pay up or get out.

    Answer by sheloveearth at 8:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • Your house, your rules. If he wants to watch porn hand it's against your rules he can move out. He is 18, and an adult - which means that he has to take responsibility for his decisions.

    Answer by Scuba at 9:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • Take it away. Who gives a crap if it's his own computer, it's YOUR house, your rules. If he can't or won't be considerate maybe he'll leave on his own. Good luck.

    Answer by KariLyn84 at 7:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2010