MY 5 YEAR OLD CAME HOME FROM SCHOOL WITH 2 BLACK EYES

OK MY 5 YEAR OLD CAME HOME WITH 2 BLACK EYES, THE WHOLE LEFT SIDE OF HIS FACE WAS SWOLLEN AND BRUISED, AND HIS TOP LIP IS BRUISED.. I WAS FREAKING OUT AND ASKED HIM WHAT HAPPENED HE SAID THAT HE RAN INTO THE WALL AT SCHOOL BUT THERE IS NOWAY POSSIBLE HE COULD HAVE ALL THAT FROM HITTING HIS FACE ON THE WALL.. I AM GOING TO HAVE A MEETING WITH HIS SCHOOL AND IF I FIND OUT DIFFERENT SHOULD I PULL HIM OUT OF SCHOOL AND PUT HIM IN A DIFFERENT SCHOOL OR WHAT..

mommasboys001

Asked by mommasboys001 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would def go up to the school and demand answers. You should have been notified at once. That's unacceptable for a school to not call you. If you have had problems like this before I would suggest taking him out of the school. But if this is an isolated incident then go to the school, make your case about being 100% informed about the health and welfare of your child while in the care of the teachers and principal, and let them know that if an incident happens like this again that you will go higher. At any time you should be able to go to your child's school and visit or look in on your child. (either announced or unannounced) I hope this helps! Good Luck! And I hope your son gets better and this never happens to him again.
    kimbercase26

Answer by kimbercase26 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• HOMESCHOOL!!!
    rivmom

Answer by rivmom at 10:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• yea deff. do something.... sounds like he's gettin bullyed... and if this happended in school was never reported i would be all over them.... does he take the bus? maybe u should get him from the bus stop. when i was in school i lived in not so good neighborhoods and i hated gettin off the bus and walking home there was always someone trying to mess with you or beat you up or something
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• LOL :) I read that and it was once again, made me thankful that I homeschool...At least I know what happens when it happens and how it happens. I don't know if pulling your child out is the answer or not, but I would seriously be questioning why you didn't get a phone call from the nurse and/or why at the very least I note wasn't sent home explaining what happen. If he ran into the wall like he said the teachers there should have been well aware of it and a phone call and/or a note should have been sent home explaining what happened. Good for you for the meeting! Also, if you were given a student-parent handbook take it out, review it, see if there is anything in there regarding policy on notifying parents re: serious injuries.... If there is question why they didn't follow their polices.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I know its scarey....he might be covering for a bully that is threating him not to tell.

But that is not a good enough reason to pull him out or homeschool.....(as long as it does not continue)

I would use this as a teaching tool.....how to stand up for yourself in the right way....how to handle tough situations....bullies...ect.....

Part of the hard part about school that TEACHES you what you can not learn as well at home....

I believe homeschooling is fine....but I want my kids to learn how to handle social situations on their own.... Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• Well even if it was a bully the adult there should have been well aware of it and a note should and/or phone call should have been made. My kids are put into different social situation all the time, but at the same time they need an adult to help facilitate and to "teach" them how to handle things the "proper way"; left to their own devices some serious harm can happen. Regardless of what schooling methods are used, a 5 year-old should NOT be expected to deal with a bully on his or her own. They need an adult to step up for them.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Oh my God...I would have freaked out too! Even if he "ran into a wall" why weren't you notified?? If his eyes were black by the time he got home then someone knew something at that school! But I'm sorry, that sounds like too much to just have ran into a wall. Poor little guy...I don't know what I would do if my 6 year old came home like that! I wouldn't pull him out of school, but I wouldn't stop until I got to the bottom of the situation and put a stop to whatever it is going on!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 10:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Make sure you take pictures and take him to the doctor and get a police report.
    Otherwise they will say you did it!
    Anonymous

• I homeschool too, and my son has had two black eyes in the past month...not bad ones. Course he is taking Muy tai and jujitsu and did hit himself in the face with a stick. (True.) Gotta love teens.

As for your child... you jump all over that school. Someone should get fired for this.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2008