Pagans..I want to honor my grandmother this halloween...

can you share with me some of the things you do on Samhain to honor the dead? I feel this would be a wonderful way to teach my children about the true origins of this day....and a way for me to honor my grandmother. thank you!

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• halloween is not a pagan holiday..if thats what you are saying
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:55 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Shay... of course Halloween is a pagan holiday!! Where do you think it originated?! The holiday is originally Celtic in origin, I believe. OP - I am not Pagan but dabbled in Wicca in high school.  I googled Samhain ceremonies and this is what I found... hope it helps!  Otherwise you could check in with the Pagan groups on CM.

MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:12 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• – collapse
    i guess what i meant was..the true origins of halloween have nothing to do with paganism
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• I'd do a dumb supper or a ancestor's altar but I prefer doing the altar. I just set up photos of loved ones, decorate with meaningful things to them and me, light candles, set out food and offerings, incense and talk with them. A dumb supper is when you do a formal supper and leave a chair and plate for the loved ones to join you and eat.  I also visit their grave site to clean it, and place flowers too.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Here you go shay, maybe the link will help you see the historical origins of Halloween

http://www.history.com/topics/halloween

OP, I set out pictures on my alter and invite my loved ones to come and join the feast. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'm going to remember this when Halloween rolls around, and everyone wants to call it a "children's" holiday and not a religious one.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have a candle lighting every year and hold a small ritual during which I have time for remembered and honor. I also take time on Samhain for scrying... In addition I tend to bring out the photos and tell the kids stories of lost loved ones... I use it as a day to remind them, and help them understand that just because they aren't here with us today, don't mean they are gone...

And my dear Shay... Honestly, anyone that believes Halloween is not a Pagan holiday, or that it's "true origins" are not Pagan, REALLY needs to educate themselves a bit... Anyone with access to the History channel can tell you Halloween and it's true origins are VERY MUCH Pagan!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• yes halloween is origianally a pagan holiday, I can't help on the cerimony ideas sorry.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i like how you guys leave out the mexicans on halloween and there day of the dead.....halloween is an american holiday. all of your pagan stuff may have come from this celtic holiday...but as far as i have ever known most americans got the idea of halloween from the mexican tradition day of the dead
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• ....which is not pagan
    shay1130