is an adult child living at home difft than a landlord-tenant relationship?

Can I legally take something away from my adult child just because its my home, my rules?

I couldn't see a landlord legally doing that. Whats the legal difference? At some point its stealing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I would not take away their stuff, but I would take away some of the perks of living with mom. If they where not respecting my rules they would start paying for things. I would start off with paying there share of the utilities if that did not work they would be paying for their own food and making it as well. I would also stop doing laundry and other things moms do to help their kids. If that did not get the message across I would look and see how much rent is for a 1 bedroom in your area and start charging them that much with a security deposit. If they are not going to treat you with the loving respect a mother deserves than they don't deserve the perks of living with a mother.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Honestly, I wouldn't. That being said, they also would respect the rules of my home, or they would not be living there.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:48 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Your child is an ADULT, therefore you can't take things away from him. If you don't like what he is doing or has in your house, then tell him he has 30 days to get out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You can have them sign a contract with the rules you expect them to follow, rent, etc... If they refuse to sign, they can leave.
    StructuredChaos

Answer by StructuredChaos at 7:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would not take something away from an ADULT. But I would also expect my child to respect my rules in order for me to respect him.

I wouldn't make them sign a contract. My children and I will never have a landlord-tenant relationship. If things didn't work out, I would prefer them to move out, I would be supportive about it, and they would still be my kids and have a great relationship with me.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 8:07 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You know what, adult or not, they are living UNDER YOUR ROOF! of course you can take whatever you want away from him/her. They need to follow ur rules, if you lock the doors at 9pm they need to be home at 9pm or sooner..or they sleep in their car OR find their own place to live. why would i make my life miserable if my adult children cant "grow up" and find their own place to live.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Remember if you try and take something away from an adult living in your home, your child or not, (like a computer) then that person can have you arrested for theft. It isn't a line that you should cross. You don't like what your child is doing in your home as an adult then KICK THEM OUT! Give them a 30 day written notice - go through the court systems if necessary.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:42 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No, you are not landlord/tenant - it is your child. Now, unless you sign a lease agreement - even then you can't "take something away."
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'd go for the contract, just like any landlord, I had a friend do it just so she had the control of the home. Have him sign it made out the way you want the rules to be. Might be sure you & someone be there to make sure he signs & you have witnesses. If he doesn't like it, show him the door where the nice big wide open spaces are that rest of us live in, and a lot of it ain't pretty.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My 24yo is going to be moving back home for a very short while and there will be no rules. He's been on his own for 5 years & is only moving home because he's getting out of the Army and is going through a divorce. He doesn't have to tell us where he's going, there won't be a curfew, he won't have a bed time, etc. and his belongings are his belongings. He's an adult and we're adults. We did let him know that he has to do his own laundry, keep the bedroom he'll be using clean and he'll have to pay us for groceries ($100 a month because it's just hubby and I and we have a set in stone grocery budget and it's just enough for the 2 of us and not enough for 3 people), call us if he's going to stay the night somewhere, etc.. If he didn't uphold his end of the living arrangements then we'd sit down and talk to him...adults to adult...and let him know how we felt. That's how adults handle things. Adults don't ground adults.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2010