Screaming children will not be tolerated?

While driving in the car this morning, the radio station I was listening to was taking callers, asking for their opinion on a Carolina Beach, NC restaurant owner putting up signs reading "Screaming children will not be tolerated". Opinions ranged from "That's great! They should do that everywhere!" to "Parents can't help what their children do."

What are your thoughts?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 8:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• More places need that sign. Yes, kids have meltdowns. Any decent parent removes their child when they have the meltdown and either get their food to go or deal with it getting cold until the kid calms down. The sad thing is people (meaning the parents) shouldn't NEED this sign to know how to behave in public. Parents can't help what their kids do, but last I checked, parents are in charge of their children and can react and respond to what their children do. The kids aren't holding them hostage at the table.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't care what reason your child has to scream and act up- I just know that I, as a paying customer, do NOT want to sit there and listen to it while I'm trying to eat and converse. Your child has a problem- then take them outside, to the bathroom or to your car until it's under control and stop being so damn selfish to those around you- the world does not revolve around your kid. I toally AGREE witht he restaurant owner and applaud them for having the balls to stand up and take into consideration ALL of their customers.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Should those parents not be allowed to eat?"

And the answer to that should be - 1) learn to cook, 2) that's why they invented carry out, and 3) there's this great invention called a babysitter.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I do not have a problem with it..it is their business they can operate it as they wish..We all know that alot of people do not want to eat out and be stuck listening to someone child ranting and raving away..I won't do that with MY OWN children..they either straighten up QUICKLY or pay the consequences..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• he should just put up a sign that says "no kids under 12 permitted"

Not all children "under 12" scream in public. And that is not fair to families with children that can sit there quietly.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I sure don't want to listen to MY child scream while we're eating, I can't imagine anyone else wants to either. The story I read said that parents with kids having a meltdown would be asked to take them outside until their calm, and then they could come back in. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. The well-behaved children who are there would be great examples of how to behave in public for all the other kids.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:15 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• @Duster... actually we don't have full control over our kids all the time. My twin boys have severe Autism, they are not in control of there actions nor even aware of them sometimes. But I'll be damned if we're going to hide in the house the rest of our lives because they "might" act up or the "might not" or some total stranger doesn't understand it or like it. Tough. They can't help being how they are.

Yeah, we'll step outside if one of them has a fit to talk them down, or leave if its out-of-control, but overall we can handle it and most people don't say anything or dare to when my DH is with us. We're not very tolerant of people getting into our business when they don't know all the details of it.

Thumbs down all ya want, it doesn't change my viewpoint.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:40 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Nothing annoys me more than going through great pains to ensure my children don't disturb others only to be disturbed by someone else's child. So I say good for them and I would also guess it's been a pretty big problem for them.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:24 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with NP. If my kids lose it, I leave. Period.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:25 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The next time I'm there, I'm going to find that restaraunt, actually the first week of October I need to go back-We'll see how it goes personally!!
    Anywho..As long as they are within the law, they can do what they want and let the laws of supply and demand dictate whether or not they float. If the policy was enforced I would be a regular customer to any business with that sign.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:35 AM on Sep. 9, 2010