EBF and jaundice

If baby comes out and is jaundiced and you chose to avoid formula feed, the nurses will try to push formula to reduce the bili levels.

Can you refuse?
This happened with my first and I want to be prepared if it happens again.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 8:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes you can...I work in a pedi hosp. and we get jaundice babies all the time and the moms continue to breast feed and we do not tell them to give them formula.....if they tell you to given the baby formula you can say no and they can not make you give your baby formula.
    Joey07

Answer by Joey07 at 2:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• You absolutely can. Nurses ALWAYS push formula. If you want to EBF keep the baby with you. The nurses think they know better. My daughter had jaundice and she survived on just BM. The billiruben goes away with bowel movements which is why they push formula but, biliruben will go away with sunlight also.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:40 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You can refuse anything that you don't want your baby to have. Remember the baby is yours not the hospitals and you will probably have to remind them of that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• yes you can refuse, it is your child. Ask the nurses how something created in a factory can be better for your child's health than what your body produces
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:50 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You can and also nursing actually flushes it out better than formula. Plus, sit by a window as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:52 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes you can refuse. If the levels are high (over 20) you should request a bili blanket to take home. If they are under that and coming down, just nurse often and get the baby in sunlight. If you tell the nurses no formula they have to follow it. If they don't, throw a fit :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Also, make sure any preferences you have about feeding are in print and where they can be seen- cuts down on confusion and the line "well you didn't say no _________" Whoever is with you should be willing to supervise any care given and back up your wishes to the nurses and doctors as well.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:07 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have had TWO babies with severe jaundice and I told them I WAS breastfeeding!

I had my baby in the room with me, so really, they didnt know what I was doing anyways......and honestly...I didnt feel pushed about it either!

I am pregnant with my third and preparing for a jaundice baby too....

Just keep in mind, they can NOT force you to do anything, they can however, make you feel as if you have to do what they say!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:07 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Also I would suggest to write in BIG letters on everything including admit papers NO FORMULA OR ARTIFICIAL NIPPLES!!!!! And write baby rooming in on it too. And if they so much as suggest formula or give it. PITCH A HISSY FIT!!! LOL They will listen or go ahead and send you both home. Hahahaha. Also have an advocate there that will stand up for what you want and not be bullied and will go to stand watch if need be.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:52 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with the other mommies on this. You have rights and cant be forced to do what they want you too.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2010