Why is it...

That so many Americans, mostly, are focused so much on food?? I'm guilty of it. While I'm eating breakfast, I'm thinking about what I can have for lunch. While I'm eating lunch, I'm thinking "I'm really looking forward to what I'm making for dinner tonight!"... anyone else like this? I'm really surprised I don't weigh 500 lbs because I eat all the time. lol

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 8:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I am like this too and it drives me nuts.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 1:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It's not the thinking about food all the time that's the downfall of this country. (In weight and food, not overall) It's the overeating, eating to fill an emotional void, eating because we're bored, etc. That's what's the issue with people and food in America. I often think about what I'm having for dinner all day, so it can be made when DH gets home. But I don't eat like a cow in a field in between then, ya know? This country specifically has a facination with food. I do agree they have an obsession with food, and I think it stems from our overall insecurity as a country. This country, for the most part, lives in absolute fear. Of themselves, of others, of war, of the enconomy, etc. We (mostly) buy into anything the media tells us and that leads most to overeat. On another part it's because the cheapest foods are the fattiest foods. So most of the country consumes most of that first.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:55 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think the same way, but for me, it's out of boredom. I worked for most of my life and just recently quit to be a SAHM and I find myself with nothing to do but think about food, cook it and eat it.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:34 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Omg, I used to be really bad. I mean I still do that trust me, but I used to be really obsessed about what I was going to have for the next meal. I would even start planning out what I was going to have the next time I got fast food......sad!
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 8:58 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• lol I plan my meals for the week out on saturday before grocery shopping so i don't have to think about it...but i still do mmmmmmm baked chicken, stuffing, and green beans
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am more obsessed with getting everything on sale--LOL
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 9:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My parents and I were just taking about this. It's like we live to eat, rather than eating to live, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I guess I am not that fond of food and recipes,etc. and I eat to live. I don't collect recipes and when it is time for dinner,I look in the freezer and the fridge and see what is there. Usually I will broil a pice of salmon and steam some veggies. When I feel creative I make home made chili with black beans and chicken and tomatoes. But I won't make casseroles with heavy sauces, soups and all that fatty stuff, or put cheese on veggies, that kind of stuff. Too many calories. I would rather eat a BIG salad with oil and vinegar dressing (low calorie) than anthing because it is filling and healthy. I never have eaten a lot or cooked from complex and high-calorie recipes. My family was the same and my kids,too. Nobody has been overweight.
    I stay under 135 pounds to feel good and I eat well.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My SO is like that.And he is just bored.He is laid off from work.& the weather here hasn't been all that great.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 12:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I eat healthy too, but I still enjoy myself. I have never been above 130 lbs, unless I was pregnant. Currently I'm sitting at 125 because I got tired of hearing "You're too thin!!" I don't obsess over what I eat so much as just like, when I'm having something new for dinner... I'm excited to try it, so I'm thinking about it all throughout the day. It's not my main focus of the day, but I do enjoy my food!!
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2010