If you have a birthday, anniversary, or anything like that on September 11th (prior to the attack)

How do you celebrate your day now? Do you still celebrate it on the same day or what? There was a group post on this somewhere and I've just always been curious how people do it because of what happened that day..

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 8:43 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My daughter's bday is on sept 11,she will be three this year. We celebrate normally and we light a candle for the fallen. As the kids get older we will explain it all to them. We always lit a candle for them before she was born so we continued to do this. Its still her day but its important to us not to forget as well as I had family there.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 9:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I dont have an occasion on that day, but i would probably celebrate it. We celebrate birthdays on other important dates in history that dont have any media about it.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My grandmother in law was born on that day and she refused to celebrate her birthday after it happened.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would probably celebrate on a different day if it were me.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• One of my friends bday is sept 11. He celebrates it the same way, every year - normally. It impacted him, but not 'personally'...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• my birthday is the 10th, and I celebrate as normal.... life has to go on
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• A friend's son's birthday is on 9/11. (He's 23 now) We celebrate his day on 9/11 if it falls on a weekend - and on the actual day we have a cake and dinner. Regardless of anything else, it's still his day.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:50 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't have anything on the 11th, but I think that by discontinuing the celebration of birthdays/anniversaries/etc.....you'd be letting the "bad guys" win. 9/11 was horrible, but the world didn't end on that day and life must go on.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:57 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I love the way mamllamaof2 said she celebrates! I don't have any important things happening on that date other than 9/11 itself. I still cry everytime I think about that day. :(
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It is my aunts wedding anniversary they still celebrate. My sons birthday is the 5th but since it is always around Labor Day weekend we have his party the weekend after when his friends can come. His party will be on 9/11 this year and everyone invited is coming. We have flown a flag on or in our home every single day since 9/11 that is our tradition now.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2010