Will you file for social security even if you don't financially need it?

spin off of my other question.

Should people who are well set financially for retirement still file for benefits?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 8:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I honestly haven't thought about it since I don't expect it to be available. Between how they increase the age every so often to account for the change in life spans and how much they've borrowed, I plan on it being completely insolvent by the time I'm old enough to claim it. If it's actually there, sure I'll take it. Just like I'd grab a leprechaun's gold at the end of a rainbow (something I consider just as likely).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:21 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It actually really bothers me that they would say that those who have other financial means may not get to receive. How the eff is that right? Those are the people who have contributed the most? Why is it their responsibility to foot the bill for people who didn't pay in as much, or at all?
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 9:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Whether or not I really need it, I have certainly paid into it all my life by that time so I am entitled to it. It is my money.

Probably won't matter because there might not be anything there by that time.
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• . What person would not want to get back what they paid in? A rare bird I think. People want what they perceive as theirs and what they think should be theirs. I'll be the first to say I want mine back. Even if I don't need it.

Maybe, if in the future, a means test is implemented people who have high income earning degrees can opt out of SS or agree to pay less than average for the decline in the future. If, IMO, citizens were given the assessment every 5 years as their incomes rose to opt out or pay less then yes when they retire they won't be on the receiving end. I just feel like the government should not be able to have it both ways to take the payments inĀ and then decide to deny the payments out. Especially when SS is continually used as the money pot-Nobody volunteers for a Ponzi scheme. That's why they take their money before you get yours.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes if it is still around. We paid into Social Security the past 20 years of our lives and will for many more no reason we should not collect money that is supposed to be there for us at retirement.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Why not take the money? It is ours to start with, every week the paycheck has SS deductions, so yep I want my money back from my mandatory government retirement fund that I pay for.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:21 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes, I fully intend to collect SS, if it's even there when I'm eligible to collect. We've been told all along that was why the money was being taken -- for our old age. So, it's my money to take back.

But, I'm not holding my breath that SS will still be around by the time that I'm old enough to collect.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think we will. We've contributed all our lives to the system. Regardless of our financial situation it is our money. Providing there is any money to draw, that is.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:48 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Agree with AmeliasMommy, I probably will file for it too, if it even exists by then. But that doesn't mean that I won't be generous if I am financially well-off. Just not with the government :D
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If i really dodn't need it, then no. I would not file for social security. I could have refiled for Unemployment, but i did not. Because we don't need it. My DH makes enough money to support us, I'm not about to add to the deficit.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2010