Does your teenaged DS eat all your food and leave nothing for anyone else?

We considered buying an extra refrigerator, putting it in another room, puttin gour share of food in it, and putting a padlock on it.

The main fridge would be left untouched, just a bit emptier.

But the boy isn't sharing, steals the food when we're not around and doesn't care that the rest of us didn't get any. Or takes some personal treat someone likes to just have around.

We buy plenty of food, he just steals it tho.

What to do?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• let me guess, is he 14?

step son 14, eats everything but DOES leave some for the rest of us
    ...crumbs of what was once crackers or chips
    ...1/3 cup of juice
    ...and do not even get me started if dad buys soda!
    ...popscycles-what popscycles,
    would think i imagined buying them, but empty box is still in freezer-so i know i am not losing my mind
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i don't have a teenage son..yet...but i plan to still stick to my rules as they are now. You must ask before eating anything between meals and in your case i would probably make a rule of no going back for seconds until everyone has had first dibs.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:50 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• if he doesnt want to follow any of your rules then i would make him start working (either a job of his own or just around the house) and buyin some of his own meals and snacks)...yes his own cupboard or fridge is a good idea. spending his own money on food may teach him a lesson
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We have a 14 yr old boy, yes he likes to eat, but he knows to ask before he touches anything... We have strict rules when it comes to feeding your face, be respectful enough to consider everyone else that lives in the house, if you don't there will be consequences. We don't restrict food, we just don't allow them to eat like pigs...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have 2 sons & yes they sure do eat a lot! We have 1 rule- dont finish anything off w/ out asking an adult 1st. It may be someone's lunch for the next day or something. They still have their moments, but not that often. And now that one of them drives, he eats out alot & even starting buying his own Soy milk, b/c I wont buy it (We go thru about 8 gals/wk of the regular stuff- I can't afford to spend double on the Soy stuff.)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Nope, we don't have an open fridge/pantry policy. Never have and never will. We do have specific snacks bought for after school and they know that is the only thing they don't have to ask about.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:43 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i have a teenaged son whos 14 and he does eat alot but he will not finish anything without asking me first if its ok but my hubby has a cousin whos 18 and will eat you out of house and home and doesn't care if they are nothing left in the fridge or pantry for any one else!!!! he don't spend that much time with us and when he does.. we usually have to either buy more food or hide some of it...
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Teen boys are big on eating! I was thrilled when my ds wanted to go live with his dad. I couldn't afford to feed him! He's not being selfish on purpose. It's just the testosterone! Just keep filling the cupboards and frig. Once he gets married then it's his wife's problem!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He did once, as a teen. Only once. He was sent to the grocery store with a list and had to buy the replacement food from his money (earned at his job).
    However, when he first came to me, he would often sneak food and hide it. He would hoard it. He came from a terribly neglectful background where he and his sister often didn't have food for days at a time and was always concerned that there might not be food another day. It took us nearly 3 months of teaching him, reminding him, showing him that there would always be "the next meal" in this house ... and after a time, he became comfortable with this.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 3:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My 16 yr old eats non stop and yes he has eaten everything after a grocery trip within a matter of 3 days (Hot Dogs gone, 2 boxes of cereal gone, loaf of bread gone, grapes gone) If I have sweets or snacks in my house - forget about it...you'll never see those after 2 days.
    My 12 year old always asks before he just grabs something, he'll even call me at work and ask - but not my 16 yr old.
    So what I did was create a meal plan basically telling them what they are allowed to eat for breakfast, what they can have for snacks and what they can have for lunch (on days when there is no school). Suprisingly that has helped. I really didn't think it would, the other thing we've done is simply not buy groceries except for eactly what we need each day (with the exception of milk, bread and fruit) I was just tired of spending $200 a week. If they want something I don't buy like sweets or pop or chips, it comes out of their pocket.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010