I cannot stop coughing.

i had a nasty cold about 3 weeks ago. I am better, but I cannot get rid of this hacky cough. It is terrible today. I did not sleep well last night because I coughed all night. Today I don't think I've gone 10 minutes without coughing. Last night I took cough medicine- it didn't work. Does anybody have any home remedies, or any kind of advice to help this dry hacky cough?

mykidsrock77

Asked by mykidsrock77 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Health

• Are you sure you don't have an Upper Resperatory(sp?) Infection, lots of times I get over colds but they move to my chest, and then I need antibiotics to get rid of my cough.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yea those cough medicines hardly ever work. I inhale steam from a boiling pot drink some lemon tea with some honey squirted in there. When you're going to bed you have to try to go to sleep propted up if you lie flat it will cause more coughing. GL
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• There's a good chance you've developed bronchitis if you've been coughing this long. Try steaming, either with a bowl of steaming water or in the shower or tub. Drink tea with honey and lemon...the lemon cuts the mucous and the honey soothes the scratchy throat. Avoid dairy. If it is a dry cough, try a humidifier in your room when you go to bed. If it is a wet cough, elevate your upper body when you go to bed.
    When you're able, go to the doctor and let him check you out for bronchitis (and, if it's a wet cough, walking pneumonia), because you may need cipro or other antibiotics.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:05 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Before you go to bed, put a good slather of vapo-rup on your feet and cover them with socks...that should do the trick!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 8:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• my son has been coughing on and off for like 2mths and the doctor gave him some hives syrup (medicine) but its for allergys too like sinus colds too. He said all the weeds and stuff could be doin it. I had him on cough medicine for while and it didn't work. He has been fine since. Get some allergy meds.
    Anonymous