toddler bed

what r some good ways to help my 2 year old do the transition to his toddler bed from our bed? thanks

eternaldeamer

Asked by eternaldeamer at 10:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yikes! it's hard if you co-sleep.

I'd suggest letting them do something special in their room so that they want to be in it and not yours.

one lady on here had her son put those glow in the dark stars up himself, she said he was proud that he did it himself so he wanted to be in there.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I just moved the toddler bed right up against mine.. and that wasn't working well enough because my bed is so much high.. so I moved out to the couch and we were level with each other and slowly kept moving the bed away...Good luck it is hard work.. My DH works midnights so with my youngest I still have her sleeping with me"o)
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 11:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I'm right there with you! eek! I think I have gotten use to snuggling with my son as much as he has. My husband & I have explained to him hat he has to learn to sleep in his room & we let him stay up until 9:00 & then it's off to his room. By 4 am he ends up making his way back in bed with us but sometimes we get lucky & he'll sleep until 6 am. It will have to stop soon since he LOVES to sleep across the bed now!!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 11:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Try...
    to have your son and you do something special to his room. Put up stars (as one lady suggested), make a fort over the bed, or get new 'CARS' sheets...etc.
    Put up a gate. And give some tough love. There are books about ways to ween kids off co sleeping.
    If he is getting up in the middle of the night to get in bed with you and your DH. Then perhaps you might try something like a sitcker sheet. where if he sleeps all night in his bed, he gets a sticker, and once he has five stickers he gets a hotwheels car, or some special treat.
    Beasic

Answer by Beasic at 1:11 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I've heard that if you can put the toddler bed in the room with the crib and just let him pick where he wants to sleep, then eventually he will prefer the toddler bed and you can move the crib out. It could take a couple of months, but I've heard it works!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Gavin slept with us pretty much since the day he was born til we got his toddler bed, which was at about 1 1/2 or so. He thought it was really cool so we really didnt have any problems with him. Just tell him he is a big boy now and he gets his own bed.....oh also what we did was put his bed next to ours for a couple weeks, had him sleep there, then moved it to his room! Good luck!
    GmansMomy

Answer by GmansMomy at 8:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2008