At what age can I put flea killer on kittens?

My kittens turned 6 weeks on Sept 11th 2008. At what age can I put flea killer on them? And how do I get the fleas out of my house completely? They are driving me nuts and I feel bad that they have them. I can't afford to take them to the vet right now and get them the taken care of professionally. Also what is the best thing to use on them if I can use anything on them at all. I need something for the house and for the kittens. (I also have a dog who I've treated, but I'm can't tell if he has them still. Please help!

kimbercase26

Asked by kimbercase26 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Pets

• you'd have to read the individual brand's instructions, but the youngest I've seen is 6 months.
    Anonymous

• I think it is 12 weeks for frontline.. I have a 10 week old pom I put half a does on him..There is also a pill called Capstar they have to weight 2 lbs. though ...I just sweep the floor at least twice a day and empty the contain right after words outside.. Good luck I have been battling them here to
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 11:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Thanks! I'm almost ready to get rid of all of them! :( (meaning the animals! Lol!)
    kimbercase26

Answer by kimbercase26 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• You can get frontline spray and put it on a cottonball and then on the kittens. If you get frontline topical treatment, you can use it at 6 weeks. If you use a very good flea product on a consistent basis, you may not need to use anything in the house. But it takes about three months of treatment of the pets for a bad infestation to be cleared and many people don't want to wait that long. You essentially have to break the cycle of the fleas. Fleas react to environmental stimulus. In other words, if the conditions are right, i.e. kittens, dogs, children (any type of activity), the fleas will hatch. That's why it is important to use a reputable product that will kill fleas in most of the life cycles. There are many that you will see in the stores, but be careful. DO NOT use the store bought products that are not specifially made for cats.
    aggiechristie

Answer by aggiechristie at 12:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• dish soap works well to kill the fleas on kittens - I  wouldn't use a harsh chemical on kittens so young - you can use Borax laundry (its only $3 a box and you don't need much) booster around the house like you would carpet freshener- you just sprinkle it on the floors and brush it in with a broom then vacuum after an hour or so - you will need to vacuum every day for a while to prevent re-infestation and make sure to empty the vacuum daily OUTSIDE the house- or you could try putting the Borax in the vacuum. - hope that helps

tmcewen

Answer by tmcewen at 2:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Dawn dish soap kills fleas, as does baby shampoo. Go easy tho, a little goes a very long way. Repeat it only if needed. I've heard of using borax on carpet and furniture before, but haven't tried it. We used a spray from Wal-Mart. Worked great. Didn't let it get on kitten feet tho, we had to keep them in a bathroom a couple weeks until they were old enough to walk on the treated carpets.

Beware of using anything on a kitten, especially a chemical drop or powder. If the kitten's nervous system is damaged, it is nearly impossible to get the chemical out of their system and it could very easily kill your kitty.

Be sure your kitties are wormed. There are worms that are carried by fleas. The two combined can kill your little guys pretty quick.

Once you get this taken care of, keep up with it and you'll likely not have a problem again. Have patience. It's worth it. :)
    EllenSchnak

Answer by EllenSchnak at 11:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• You can also bomb the house with flea killer. Animals and you will have to spend some time outside while this happens, so if you want to try this, you'll want to do it soon before it gets too cold.

good luck!
    EllenSchnak

Answer by EllenSchnak at 11:22 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I would use a bomb to kill them, but my windows are painted shut and we have no way of airing out the house afterwards. So I think it's safer if we don't do that. I can't wait to get new windows so we can air out the house though! It gets stuffy! Lol!
    kimbercase26

Answer by kimbercase26 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Use dawn dish soap. Cover the kitten all over the fur, just avoid in the eyes and in the mouth. The soap will sufficate the bugs and wont harm the kitten. Rub the soap in REALLY WELL and use a flea comb to start loosening the nits and adults. Fill the tub with warm water and start getting the kitten wet, keep using the comb to work on the bugs. Lots of suds then rinse...towel dry then use the comb again. Keep repeating until they're gone
    kjb9585

Answer by kjb9585 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Thank you soo much for the advice! We're slowly getting rid of them! :)
    kimbercase26

Answer by kimbercase26 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2008