problems with our parents

I haven't talked with my dad in about 2 years. Neither of us have made an effort to stay in touch. He knows of my 2 older kids and the visits then were always awkward. He really only started coming around because he owed child support. (yes I'm a grown woman who finally got child support from my father all these years after I no longer qualify for it!) He dosen't know that I've had another baby, she's almost 6 months. Should I bother to tell him of her?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• just say "i wanted to let you know you have another grandchild" let him do the rest. by that you have made the first step, and it will be up to him to make a relationship if he wants. dont force him though, no reason for either of them to suffer.
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• If you are hoping to have any kind of relationship with him then yes....

I understand that things now are bad and stuff, but if you are wanting to take a step in a positive direction to make things better then yes you should tell him that you have a baby. It doesn't mean that you have to set up a time for them to meet at this point, but he should be made aware, especially if you are wanting to change the relationship.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I really don't care to have a relationship with him. Awful as that sounds, there is more to this. But without getting into it really he has been given many chances and still passes the blame off on my mom or me and my sister. He accepts no blame for anything that has happened. I really don't want him dropping in and out of the kids lives on his whims.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Mothers are "da bomb" but even us women have to admit our fathers played a role somehow, and even like yours and many, those father and daughter relationships do get detatched. I would suggest that trying again and letting him know of your new baby would be a good idea. Your at least giving him a chance and that is a big step that not a lot of people can do. If unfortunately things don't go well then at least you tried and your not leaving yourself asking "what if"... I hope your decision makes good memories, either way you choose.
    mrsfarris

Answer by mrsfarris at 1:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I am in the same situation, only the time has been longer (8yrs) and the only reason I've been considering it is because my new daughter (also 6 months) looks just like him. I,m torn though
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:36 AM on Oct. 15, 2008