Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How does Workers Comp work?

My DH was hurt at work and went to urgent care. They filled out the paperwork but he's still at work, working. He's in constant pain and I don't understand how this is supposed to work.


Asked by dragonlady320 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 17 (3,261 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • He needs to file for workmans comp and have the doctor sign off for it.. doesn't mean he is going to get it. His company can fight it.. It's an uphill battle for some people. I attached a link for you to see how to maybe start the process

    Answer by BobbieJo286 at 9:50 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • Worker's comp is not necessarily time off of work, it may just be medical bills paid for the injury. I had a worker's comp claim once for being injured on the job, but it did not affect my ability to work. The company paid the medical bills, but I did not get any paid time off of work for it. Did the doctor state that he was able to return to work? If so, maybe he needs to see the doctor again, but it could turn into a legal fight.

    Answer by andrea96 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • Did your husband notify the company he works for that he was injured? That is most important. The company must report any injuries to their insurance company. The doctors are also required to report any work related injuries. Like the others said workers compensation is there to pay for the bills and if your husband is disabled they will start to pay him compensation for time lost after 7 lost days of work. If you husband is in constant pain or unable to do his regular job, the doctor needs to determine what he is able to do, how much he can lift, how long he can sit, how long he can stand. If the doctors gives him limitations the company has to comply with either a light duty position or give him the time off until the doctor releases him back to full duty. Make sure if the doctor says your husband can't work that you have a written excuse. You will need it for the insurance company.

    Answer by cmsiggy24 at 10:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • He'll have to fill out the paperwork and wait to have it approved. He should be able to do this through his HR office at work.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • Thanks. The DR decided my husband had no choice and filled the paper work out for him the day he was seen at the clinic.

    Comment by dragonlady320 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • The bills are paid by the insurance. The DR didn't say he couldn't work either though. He's supposed to go back and talk to him tomorrow.

    Comment by dragonlady320 (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • I called his supervisor and told him that my DH fell out of an airplane and needed to be seen by a company DR. THe sup said there were no company DRs and to take him to our DR or urgent care. Our DR said they didn't do workers comp so I took him to urgent care. His work knows about the injury. He said they got the paperwork yesterday and the DR had called his employer already and faxed stuff to them. He was filling out the incident report and the rest of the paperwork yesterday. He also said a job that usually takes him 8 hours to complete took him 12 and he wasn't the one who completed it. I"ve noticed too that he cannot pick up and play with our 11 month old baby. He tried to pick her up over his head laying down the other day and he cried out in pain. She's only 20 lbs. I'm really concerned about his health and this workers comp thing bc we're already broke as it is. He usually works 18 hrs a day just so he can get overtime

    Comment by dragonlady320 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • In all honesty if he can still manage to work I'd have him stay at work, especially since in your last reply you said you are already broke. Workers comp is less than HALF what your gross pay is. When my ex was permanently injured on his job his weekly gross was about $770, his weekly workers comp check: $215!!!! Eventually he settled for $65,000 and he spent that in less than a year. Now he's spent the last 5 years going to school while living off his very part time job and student loans.

    He's racked over $20,000 in student loan debt and still only has that part time job because he can't find a job in the field he got a 4 year degree in.

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • It depends on the state. But he should have been sent to see a doctor who would decide if his work environment needed to be changed or limited. Go to your states workers comp page and look there. There are also several support groups out there. put in the search engine. workers compensation, help, support groups, and the name of yhour state.

    Answer by DisabledVet at 2:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • It's important if they don't do anything o get a good lawyer. Start interviewing attorneys now before you need one. Chose an attorney who has a good record Ask if you can speak to someone of his/her clients. This way if things go badly you'll already have someone picked out.
    Look up and post on any wc groups in your state or area. Here is a good one to start with.

    Good luck and keep us updated.

    Answer by DisabledVet at 1:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2010