Can bed bugs travel through air or heating vents?

dragonlady320

Asked by dragonlady320 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Health

• They move around in the dark, like warm places, and I would think heating vents would be an ideal environment for them. I don't think they move through the air.... They are big enough to see so if you're concerned about having them make sure you pull your bed out, vacuum your mattress, and the floor and corners behind it. Keep your house cooler, and vacuum a lot. I also keep a "hotshot" bug killer in each room just in case. You can get it at Lowes, it doesn't smell, and works great for all bugs, spiders etc... We live in the country, so I'm always finding something in our home.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:29 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would imagine it's possible but from what I hear, like mrsmom110, they seem to travel by touching/crawling on things rather than through the air. I'm sure if they were on a pillow and you threw the pillow they might go through the air but I have not heard that they can fly. I would think the probability of them being sucked in to the a/c-heating system would be small.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I've heard they are spreading like crazy right now- and can hitch rides on your clothing, purse, backpack, suitcase,etc. Makes me leary about staying anywhere like a hotel or a cabin, or apartments/dorms too. And they are hard to get rid of & very expensive to hire a pro to do it. Good luck if you are dealing w/ it- I dont envy you 1 bit!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• They don't carry any sort of diseases, thankfully. I'm still not sure. We don't have them down here in the south, yet at least. Don't ever google about micro organism's that live on us at all times. eek!!!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• bumpHeres a bump for ya!!

bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 1:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010