Sleeping through the night

my doc jus told me today that my almost 8mth old should be sleeping through the night. but doesnt. he wakes up and has like 2 bottles. what the hell am I supposed to do?! Jus let him cry all night?? hes gets one before bed. I dont kno what else to do..he prolly is so used to having a bottle in the middle of the night.

JaydnsMom22

Asked by JaydnsMom22 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't sweat it. Technically, sleeping through the night is sleeping 5 + hours at a time. Try to get by with giving smaller bottles at night and feeding him more in the day (if it bothers you that much). As I said, try not to worry!
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 11:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Been there!
    Some babies naturally stop waking up. Some learn that waking up means some time with mom and a tasty treat. Mine was like that. It sounds like yours is too. Be aware that the milk is bad for his teeth.
    You have several options.
    (1) Switch to water in the bottles. No, he will not be happy. But when I did this, my daughter dropped to one wake-up per night in just 2 nights.
    (2) Let him cry. That's what I had to do to end the final nightly visit. I did that at about 13 months old and I was desperate for sleep. Within a few nights, she has stopped waking.
    (3) Keep giving him milk. It is bad for his teeth and bad for his waistline but you know that. He may give it up on his own, he may not.

At this point (26 months), my daughter wakes up in the night if she is teething or sick. Other than that, she sleeps.
    Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I give my daughter some rice cereal with her bottle every night! it works every time! shes been getting that since she was 2 months old. she took very well too it , you could mix it with his bottle before bedtime or mix it in a bowl and spoon feed it. try mixing bananas with it if he wont eat the rice. they do make rice with bananas but fresh bananas are always better!
    jessiejo1

Answer by jessiejo1 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• doctors aren't there for "baby training". who cares if he doesn't sleep all night? & what kind of BS number is 8mos? comfort & feed your baby on demand. you'll never go wrong that way.
    Anonymous

• what the hell u mean what kinda bs number is 8mths?!! I CARE if hes not sleeping through the night. which is why i asked this question. i need sleep. i work. as most mothers.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 15, 2008