What's wrong with telling 2nd graders that boys can marry boys?

I keep seeing commericals (in CA..) about gay marriage and 2nd graders being taught about it in school. If the law passes what's wrong with our children knowing the truth? Even if you are against it, if the law passes then it will be happening so why would you still want to hide it from your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• if gays can legally get married, there's nothing wrong with telling kids that! it would be lying to say otherwise. Teachers teach laws, it's the parents that should be teaching their child(ren) what they believe is right or wrong especially something like this that the only reason they see it as wrong is because of their religion.

I see nothing wrong in the teacher telling kids that it is legal for gays to get married, it's not like the teacher is lying, it is legal!
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Because to me its desensitization you see it enough and it becomes ok to you. Its already happened to tons of people. And I dont agree with the lifestyle, love the people, dont like what they do. That is what I teach my children.

Just because someone WANTS to do something does not make it right.
    Anonymous

• Well, its like teaching a religion at school and telling children that this is what they are SUPPOSED to be....Gay marriage is not something that should be taught to anyone. Its stupid.
    Anonymous

• We hear all the time, "NO RELIGION" "dont teach my kid that"

Well, I dont want my kid taught that!
    Anonymous

• I'm not saying that teachers should tell them it's RIGHT or that they should do it but if the law allows it then it doesn't make it WRONG. Its not like religion because its not telling the children what to believe, its telling them what the world is.
    Anonymous

• Desensitization doesn't necessarily result in "being ok with it".... it just reduces shock value. 50 years ago, toilets weren't allowed on screen, TV or movie. Why? Bathroom behavior was considered so extremely private, to even suggest that other people (especially beloved characters) used a toilet was found to be obscene.

Inter-racial marriages were illegal until as recently as 20 years ago in some states. Times, they are a changin....
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Are they going to teach about heterosexual marriage as well, doubt it.
    This world it scary
    Anonymous

• I live in California, and I see nothing wrong with it. I agree completely with you (the poster) that if it is legal there is no reason not to have it mentioned in school, if the conversation should arise.

As far as Anon 8:20 .... I am sure a lot of people felt like you back in the day when segregation was outlawed and they started teaching in schools that everyone was equal. They (the racists) did not want that taught to their children, because it was not what they believed. Its basically the same thing.

*shrug* I am all for gay marriage. I see nothing wrong with it, and i will teach my daughter the same thing.

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• So, if the law passes you don't want your kid to know the truth?
    Anonymous

• Sometimes changin' is not so good. We start believing that if you wanna do it, then its ok. Humanism= as long as it feels good for you, its fine. And to me, thats just not true.
    Anonymous