Piggy Bank

What age did you give your kids a piggy bank?

My 3 year old came up to me yesterday and said "I want a coin." WTF, where'd that come from, LOL. I gave him a sticker instead, but maybe now would be a good time to start teaching him about money. I plan to use a sticker/reward chart for doing chores, but the stickers could be exchanged for money for his piggy bank. What did you do?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• My kids have received piggy banks when they were born. Every birthday or holiday, even tooth fairy money went in it. When they were old enough to spend it they had a choice, they either can spend it on themselves or put it in their bank account.
    Dolotuc

Answer by Dolotuc at 11:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• When they were born..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:45 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Both of mine have had piggy banks since birth.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Mine both got ones for their first birthday. We also have a jar that we call the vacation fund. When it is full we are going to see how much is in it and put it toward a trip to Disney Land. my children know what it is and the older one even understands that we are saving to "see Mickey Mouse" She gets so mad if we say we are going to use it for something lse. I think it is good because it shows them that you have to save for what you really want.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Before birth. I got a piggy bank at my baby shower.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If he's old enough to ask for money then he's old enough to know how it works

http://www.daveramsey.com/store/kids-teens/Kids-3-12/6-Kids-Books-Boxed-Set/prod140.html

elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I considered giving my twins piggy banks for their 3rd birthday a few weeks ago, but I decided to wait until Christmas for that. We only give one birthday gift, and while I think they'd get a kick out of a piggy bank, I think it will be a better gift for Christmas when they will each get a few gifts instead of just one. I saw some really cute piggy banks at Target in the kid's room decor section; I think they cost about $12. I also saw some neat piggy banks at Toys R Us that have a screen that tallies the deposits. They wouldn't understand the counter yet, but I think I may go with those anyway. The ones at Toys R Us were about $16 I think.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• With my older daughter I always paid her in coins when she was little because she liked coins better than paper money at that point. She loved having a quarter of her own to spend on those machines at the store. I expect I'll start with coins for the twins too. I think sometime between 3 and 5 is a great time to start teaching money skills.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i bought my kids a piggy bank before they were born and put coins in there every day even if it was just a penny a day
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I got mine each a "fancy" piggy bank when they were about a year old. Birthday and other money goes in there until there is enough to put in the bank.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 5:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010