My Dog got sprayed By A Skunk... What can I do?

He is stinking up the house... he smells really bad.. he stay inside most of the time but went out lastnight casing a skunk..and now he is eww...

emturner

Asked by emturner at 11:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Pets

• My TWO inside dogs just met "our" yard skunk! The tomato sauce didNOT do a good enough job, vinegar helped, but one mom told me to use baking soda mixed with hydrogen peroxide.( too late for me to test!) so, yo can check it out. One of my country coiusins swears that FEMININE DOUCHE kills skunk odor! ~ her dog, a St. Bernard, needed 4 packs of douche!( she bought all 4 at one store, told the GUY cashier, ":got a little problem this month!"
    Vinegar worked, but then, you have to kill that odor I used my PANTENE shampoo/conditioner!
    25beengoodtome

Answer by 25beengoodtome at 11:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I've heard that a bath with tomato juice works. Don't know if that's true, I've never had to deal with that. Go to google and search for "how to get skunk smell out" and see what comes up. You probably will find a bunch of home remedy things that you could try. Or go to the Good Housekeeping website, they may have info there. Good luck!!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• im sorry but the is funny how bad dose it smell, but yeah i see the tomato thing on a movie so i really dont know how it work

Anonymous

• My dag has been sprayed 3 times. The third time someone finally told me to use baking soda and household peroxide. Make a paste and cover the dog with it. Keep it away from his eyes. It takes almost 99.9% of the smell away. And no, your dog will not go blonde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    myrissie

Answer by myrissie at 11:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• The two best options is the peroxide tonic:-) or gasoline. No, you don't light the dog up---you rub it down with a rag soaked in gas---THEN bathe the dog well. I don't recommend this but it worked on our dog. A friend recently told my husband about the peroxide---but he also puts some digh soap in it to make it more of a shampoo. It said it worked better than anything else he tried--including the gas:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• dish soap--sorry:-)
    Anonymous

• I've heard the tomato trick does not work.

Try searching on Dr. Foster & Smith website (www.drsfostersmith.com). They have some great articles.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Our cat was sprayed by a skunk when I was a kid. I guess he smelled so bad, that he willingly let my mom wash him (well he didn't put up a fight) . . anyway, she used tomato juice and it worked like a charm. What kind of dog is it?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Bathe him with tomato juice
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 1:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i agree w the tomatoe juice thing..but who ever would even think of bathing their dog in gasoline is on some serious crack. yes..anonymous, you're on crack!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2008