Do I have to pay for a birth certificate?

For people who are in SC. I have yet to get a copy of my son's birth certificate and when I tried to find out when /if I would get one I was told that they don't give you the first one automatically at no charge when you have a baby. Is this right? When I had my other son in 2005 I was in Fl and , though it took about 3 months, I did get the first one in the mail and for free. It came with an order form for more certified copies at a charge for them. Does anyone know if it's right or wrong information that I have to order/pay for the first copy?

cassdragon23

Asked by cassdragon23 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had my first son in FL also and your right they just mail you one for free...but I had my second son in NJ and I had to pay $25 to get a copy of his....They get you coming and going don't they?
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You have to pay for any copy of a BC dear. Sorry
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:03 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yup..sure do. It's $12.00 where I live.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:03 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Wow! California you get the first certified one for free too but if you need more it's 20 bucks each.. i guess it's different in every state
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Really? My daughter was born in CA and I had to pay $15 for it. I had to pay for all four of my bcs.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You have to pay for even the first here (Indiana/Illinois). It's $7 and the dept of live records.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• TY all for your responses. I guess it is different every where.
    cassdragon23

Comment by cassdragon23 (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Call City Hall where your kids were born. They will tell you there. Or the hospital they were born at.
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• u thin you have to pay for one no matter what state your in
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Different hospitals and states process this info differently. The hospital can request one for you while you are there. From the time the hospital sends the info to the state, your child will be a month or older. State records due charge for this info, like marriage and death certificates, and anything that is a necessary document because they know you need it and they can. You will have a site that you can go online and order a copy or they will provide a form to mail it in. Of course, there is the Social Security office next........when you apply for a card. I have always made it a rule, if it is important and hard to get, order two.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 10:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2010