How are you preparing your daughter for her first period?

We've collected many stories but want to hear more - how to approach this topic with your daughter?

KathyatDotGirl

Asked by KathyatDotGirl at 11:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• My daughter isn't even born yet...but I can tell you how my mom did it =3

She sat me down when I was about eight and gave me "the talk". As far as I remember it was pretty straightforward, she didn't nickname anything or beat around the bush. She told me why I was growing pubic hair and why I had to shower more often. She said I would start bleeding soon and that I would bleed every month, and I would have to use either pads or tampons to keep the bleeding from staining my clothes. She explained why girls bleed and everything. She was a nurse, so she believed in the straightforward approach =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My mom bought me a book named "Period." ... it was geared towards pre-teen girls and talked about hygeine and getting your period. It was actually pretty cool. I got my period, ironically, a few months later :)

ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My daughter was about 8-9 when she asked me to tell her where babies came from. Later on that night in Walgreens she asked about "pads" and made a face. She explained she had seen it in the school bathroom .. she looked grossed out.
    I explained everything from the body changes to how a baby is conceived.. very short and to the point. She sat there and said I was freaking her out. I said if you have any questions, you can ask me. She thought about it for a few minutes and said ewww, you and dad did that? I said Ok thats personal lol
    Then I bought her the American Girl book titled The Care and Keeping of You. Its a fantastic book for girls to learna bout their bodies and the changes they go thru. My daughter appreciated this. She came to me w/ questions and it was easy for her b/c I had already opened the conversation up by explaining the worst of it.
    Schwabby

Answer by Schwabby at 1:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have a son...lol so I can't tell you a story from what I did but whether what my mom did for me.

She used to tell me stories about when she was younger and we'd rent books from the public library on puberty, reproduction, etc. She would buy me pads and stash them in cabinets for when I did start.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I agree! I got my daughter the American Girl books and accompanying journals "The Care and Keeping of You" and "The Care and Keeping of Your Emotions". I explained to her that women get special blood in the baby womb that feeds the baby. But when there is no baby, the blood leaves us (our period), and starts to collect again for next month. When she realized what SEX was....! Well, that was entirely different.... "You? And my father? Oh, that is SO GROSS! How often? No, I don't want to know!!!" So we keep it pretty much to "when you ask, I'll answer" but I don't volunteer much until she's ready for it.
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• When my middle sister (of three daughters) found out about how babies came about--she went and asked my mom if her information was correct. When mom confirmed it my sister replied, "Oh gross, Mom!!! Three times!!"

I really like the book "Period" and my sons even read it:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Oct. 16, 2008