Why take something if you don't need it... like Social Security?

Sorry, I'm just really struggling to understand this mentality. Throughout our working lives we will pay into numerous programs that we will never use or take advantage of. So why is it that so many feel entitled with social security? Yes, we pay into it. But why take something that you don't need? I'm not going to use food stamps if I don't need to, I'm not going to use TANF or medicaid if I don't need to.

I guess I just don't get it. I was always told to only take what you need when I was a kid and I have kept that mentality.

NonnasMomma

Asked by NonnasMomma at 10:15 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• When you get older, and you have worked all your life.. you deserve to retire, sit back & get your SS..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i am not sure why people do that. I wouldn't take any of that stuff if I didn't need it either. I think people need to work for what they get and try their hardest at it.
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• How do you know what other people need? I mean really, why get yourself all work up over facts you will really never have. Believe me, there are times when I thought I had a person all figured out to find out something else that made sense.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Medicaid, Food Stamps, etc are benefit programs for people in need. Social Security was designed to be a retirement program - it is paid into with the thought that you will receive money at retirement. Interestingly, many government employees can OPT OUT of social security and pay into a private plan. I would happily do that if we were able to, but we don't have that option. We have paid a lot into social security because we HAD to. Darn straight I'm going to collect it when we're able to.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Why take something if you don't need it... like Social Security?

----

you could apply this to your government. studies have shown it can run on just 8% Federal Tax. But they keep taking don't they?

If the law allows a person to qualify and get what they paid into, it is none of your business what they do with what is legally theirs. Why is it ok for citizens to live by that creed, but not the people who are supposed to represent us?

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You probably will need it by the time you retire. Right now you are healthy thank goodness but by the time you reach retirement age, you will most likely be on some form of medication(s). There is a cap that Medicare puts on prescription coverage and most older people I know, including my parents are past that cap & need to pay over $1,000 per month just for their medications. If it wasn't for Social Security many elderly people would be living on the streets without the medications they would need. So eventually, we will all need it. Ask some retired people their opinions. I live in an affluent area and there isn't one older person here that is not thankful for their social security money.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Why collect your 401k and IRA if you don't need it? Social security was designed to be a pension program - you pay in and collect based on the interest earned on the money you paid in. That's why the amount you collect is directly related to how many quarters you've worked and how much you contribute. If you don't work a minimum number of hours you don't even get the option to take out what you initially put in.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I could get WIC if I wanted to. I don't need it so I don't.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The pretense of SS is not a program to be used IF you need it but rather WHEN you reach an age that working is no longer appropriate- It was designed as a pension program funded by  $$$$ from your own labor. Who would not draw money from their own pension account, from money supplied from their earnings?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

This^^^^
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2010