Did your kids stop following their growth curve at any point and did they later catch back up?

My twins just had their 3 year check up, and I was surprised at how little they had grown since last year. from birth to 2 years my daughter was consitently between the 80th and 100th percentile for height and between the 50th and 60th percentile for weight. At 3 she is only in the 50th percentile for height and 40th percentile for weight. My sone was in the 75th or higher percentile for height and 25th or below for weight through his 2 year check up. At 3 years he is in the 40th percentile for height and 5th percentile for weight. The slight decreases in weight percentiles I don;t find too alarming, but the significant decrease in height percentiles do seem really odd. My husband and I are both pretty tall, so we expected them to stay at least above the 50th percentile for height. The pediatrician said it could just be that they are a little behind because they are twins or a lot of other reasons.

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• You should each ask your parents what your growth rates were. Kids go in and out of growth spurts, I wouldn't be too worried unless it continues. Wait it out.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:29 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I myself stopped growing for a long time. I'm not the tallest or heaviest person in the world, but i'm well in the realm of healthy. (I got burned on my right leg , and actually lost weight)
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 10:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• my DS has only gained about 2 lbs in the past 18 mos and has grown about 4 inches, so his weight percentages dropped significantly, but our ped didn't express any concerns
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I ignore the growth charts for the most part - as long as the kids are healthy and growing (even a little), I don't get concerned. My youngest didn't even make the chart when he was born (preemie). Kids grow at their own pace, you know?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:29 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• can't help ya, both of mine have always been off the chart for "normal"
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My son was 50th % until about second grade. He has stayed 50th in height, but, his weight dropped down to the 5th. LOL He is 14 and only weighs 89lbs.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:34 AM on Sep. 9, 2010