Have you adopted a child from a mother that was on drugs and from your family?

My uncles girlfriend gotten her child taken from her at the hospital. The baby is now in foster care. The mom went to court today to see how much jail time/rehab she is getting, have not heard from her. The baby and mom tested positive for meth,methadone and pills. Anyway, We are going through dhr to get the baby placed with us while the mom gets everything " straight" and we should have her within two weeks. She has been in and out of 4 rehabs, two children for adoption and 2 abortions. I am just so frustrated that they are going to put this baby throught the system again but I know she needs a chance to straighten her life. We are in Alabama. Do you know what the law is on a woman with all those drugs in her system and the baby? Do u know any info on this matter? Please Help !!

JaceyandIndi

Asked by JaceyandIndi at 11:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Adoption

• i have just wen thru the exact same thing here with my grandaughter n her sister n brother. The case was final in Jan 08 and I got full custody, but thru it all from Nov 06 It was like I had took the mother in also, she was over everday but never changing her life like they needed, now she has not seen these kids since Feb 08. My son got with her n they had my grandaughter, the mother already had the other two, but foster care made me take all 3 cuz they wanted to keep them together n i felt if i didnt take all i wouldnt get my grandaughter. I love them all and am now very attached. Good luck and if u want to email me u can. the story is very long and the foster care n courts very complicated, so good luck.
    strtngovrmom

Answer by strtngovrmom at 12:10 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i doubt she will straighten her life out, if she doesnt want it, she doesnt want it.
    Anonymous

• Not with family, but our daughter's birth mother was a cocaine addict and our daughter ended up testing positive for it which is why she was removed. The birth mom never came back into the picture after that.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 7:42 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I do not think that this woman will come back into the picture but its just stressful ya know .. Thanks for the answers guys.
    JaceyandIndi

Answer by JaceyandIndi at 12:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I've held an alcohol addicted baby while her mom had another beer and that was sad enough for me. I would have loved to have stolen that baby and taken care of her properly, but they would have figured out it was me. You have your work cut out for you. God bless you!

Anonymous

• Thanks alot ... Its going to be hard but I am willing to get her out of the foster care system. I know someone of the familys are wonderful people but I think that she is better with HER family. Some women just need help in this world. Hopefully this rehab will help her, but its not fair to her baby to have to miss out on her mom while she is getting her life straight when she could have done that 11 months ago -- IDK
    Jessica
    JaceyandIndi

Answer by JaceyandIndi at 3:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2008