Has Anyone treated you differently than before when they found out something else about you?

I get treated differently a lot when someone finds out that I'm not 100% white in race, not all the time, but enough to notice. Usually, no one knows unless I have to take a blood test (Like i did for a college scholarship), when I have to fill out a form, or if they're actually from where most of my family is....they can always tell if they're from the same country, and it's scary lol. (I'm 3/4 Turkish, 1/4 Irish)...does anyone treat you differently after they find something out about you that they didn't know before?

DereksBabyMomma

Asked by DereksBabyMomma at 10:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• yeah people aren't always the nicest they just think hey they are different so i am not going to treat them the same way because they aren't like me or they seemed to be different than others
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I guess only once, I was at a park and talking to another Mom and once she found out I wasn't a SAHM she snubbed me and left the park as if I wasn't a mother if I didn't stay at home
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• people do it to me when i tell them i'm not married. we have been together for ten years and have three kids. poeple i thought were my friends were pushing us and we broke ties with them.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yeah, I have noticed it alot when people find out I am divorced. Guess it is one of those things, you have to live it to understand it.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i honestly haven't noticed. but then, if there's dirty laundry to be aired, it's up to me who knows what about me. that being said, there's nothing about me or my past that would change my perception of what anyone else thinks of me. KWIM? if you(in general) don't like who i am, that's your problem.
    hopefully, the people i choose to have in my life are not so shallow to regard something as small as heritage/color/job/shoe size/religion/car-maker/sports-preference/etc as reasons to love me and be my friend.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes and what the person heard was all based on rumor. Didn't even bother to ask me what was true or false. So I guess I am better off!
    countryspun

Answer by countryspun at 10:51 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Turkish and Irish are not races, but nationalities, but you look like a pale skinned human to me. People are still too shallow about skin color for their own good. But yeah, I've been treated different after someone finds out something unexpected about me. Sometimes it's about religion, or politics, my health issues and even the history of abuse that I've been through. It's sucks when the response is negative and demeaning but I chalk it up to their own insecurities and inability to be compassionate.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:57 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Luckily, I've been treated with respect and acceptance since I left the Christian faith. I'm sure there may come a time when I'm treated differently for not identifying as Christian, since I live in a predominately Christian area, but it hasn't happened yet. I have been treated differently when my advocacy for gay rights has been brought into the open. It's shocking and disturbing.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• oh sure, i think it happens to everyone but racial things are always more obvious and harder to get over (cause you have no control over it). just the other day 2 ppl i thought were becoming friends at my college found out i already have a degree and am just there to get some pre-reqs. now one of them acts all nervous around me and the other acts like im a snob.

a lot of ppl have issues w/ ppl being different, especially if they've always figured you were the same as them...they may feel betrayed that you lied (which is rarely the case) or b/c they feel bad that they assumed or they are just jerks.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:21 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Unfortunately, yes. When I tell people I'm an atheist they look at me like I'm a monster who just left her fangs and seven horns at home. The witchcraft hasn't been as big a problem as I thought it would be. My middle sister knows and is anxious to learn a bit of magic from me, even tho she is a christian as well. My heritage is mostly mutt. I have everything from Irish to Cherokee in me. I am not ethnic-looking at all, but I know that can be a problem when people say "Oh, you don't LOOK....". Because after all, when my Irish, English, Belgian, French, etc. ancestors came here they all became Americans. And that's what I consider myself to be.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:43 AM on Sep. 9, 2010