How can I get my 19 month old to sleep through the night?

dlee620

Asked by dlee620 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some kids are night owls and I notice that when I started to put my daughter to bed later she slept through the night. When she wakes I let her fuss and hopefully fall back to sleep on her own. I also try to get her to get 12 hours, so what I do is put a small fan in her room and it helps her get those extra couple of hours a sleep.
    virgo2182

Answer by virgo2182 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• there is sounds like water sounds i recorded my voice singing or talking to the child and played it a half hour after they fell asleep i gave my kids a little bit of sleepy time tea very little or chamomile and it helped
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• my oldest never wanted to go to bed, but i would feed him dinner, give him a long relaxing (more like wearing out) bath. lube him up in lotion, and either read together for 20 min to watch TV for 20 mintues before bed.
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 4:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• What are you doing when he wakes at night? If you give him a bottle or rock him to sleep, you are rewarding his night wakings. If you go in to check on him, do not make eye contact, do not talk, do not turn on any lights. Do what you need to do and leave.

Are you forcing him to stay up or drop the nap to get him super tired? BAD IDEA. Overtired kids sleep WORSE. They have a harder time falling asleep and staying asleep. This is simple biology.

Get him into sunlight within an hour of waking in the morning
    Make certain he naps but don't let him sleep longer than 3 hours before bedtime.
    Have a good bedtime routine.
    He needs 12 to 14 hours of sleep a day. Figure out how many hours he gets a day and how many at night... figure out what time you need to get him into bed. If that means he's in bed so early that parent(s) coming home from work don't get to play with him - oh well. Sleep is critical to proper development, there are years ahead
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I WULD SAY ONLY LET HIM TAKE A NAP FOR LIKE 2 HOURS IF THAT BUT WAKE HIM RITE UP AN DON'T LET HIM SLEEP NETYM AFTER 4 THEN BY 8 GIV HIM A NICE WARM BATH AND SOME WARM MILK AND HE SHULD BE OUT FOR THE NITE. THATS WAT I DO AND IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM! BETWEEN 4 AND 8 LET HIM RUN CRAZY AND PLAY HISSELF OUT SO BY BEDTIME HE'LL BE TIRED.
    missesshumate

Answer by missesshumate at 9:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• OH AND IF HE DOES WAKE AT NITE TRY NOT TO TURN ON NE LITES CHANGE HIS DIAPER GIV HIM ANOTHER WARM BOTTLE AND RITE BACK TO BED HE GOES. TRY NOT TO PLAY WITH HIM OR TALK TO HIM DO ETHING IN SILENCE.SO HE'LL KNOW THIS ISN'T PLAY TIME ITS BEDTIME AND HE'LL GO RITE BACK TO SLEEP.
    missesshumate

Answer by missesshumate at 9:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2008